Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Advice plz on hedges, grass verges, roadside, council

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 22 11:56 am    Post subject: Advice plz on hedges, grass verges, roadside, council Reply with quote

Advice plz on hedges, grass verges, footpaths, roadside, council

I have a roadside hedge, that is mine. I appreciate that any branches overhanging the highway, I have to cut. Not a problem.

But the hedge has been badly neglected over the years by previous owners. So much so, that the drainage ditch inbetween hedge and road has filled in. Suckers from blackthorn etc have grown through the 'filled' ditch and into the grass verge.

1 - Is it council responsibility to cut the blackthorn in the grass verge, maybe same time as grass cutting.
2 - Is it council responsibility to clear the ditches.
3 - Is a grass verge deemed to be a 'footpath'. As pedestrains cannot get to safety should a vehicle go by.
4 - If it is a grass verge does the 2.4m clearance above verge to bottom hedge branches still mandatory. Likewise 5.5m above road to bottom of tree/hedge branches, and also continued 0.5m into the grass verge.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 22 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 maybe

2 that depends, council, highways, drainage board or you are all possible, ask discretely, cleared can be far cheaper than cleared by a formal procedure
even if it is not your job but it would be better for you if it was cleared

3 no idea, if you can dive sideways it is good enough for me, asking might be a worm can of ownership and responsibility issues

4 no idea, if it is tidy nobody will bother about it so it would not matter
--------------------------------------------------------------------
5 no one is paid to look for problems at the mo, if you do what seems best for you(and wildlife, the locals etc) chances are that is all it needs

6 re the ditch, the local farmers might know, they might not, they might like to know if it was going to be unblocked
and they have the kit to scoop it if you decide that is the easy option

drainage is complicated, a few discrete inquiries might be a good place to start, emphasis on discrete, an unexpected liability is never fun, be sensible re drains

tis probably not your drain, even so if you clear it for your benefit without harming others it can be worth doing
if it is no problem to you, ignore it, who ever is responsible for it or needs it clear can do it

hope that helps

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 22 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't really know the answer to all that. Your house deeds may tell you more if you can see a copy. The ditch rather depends on whether it is part of a continuous run with just your bit blocked, or if all the other sections are blocked. If all blocked, not much point in clearing yours, but if yours is the only one blocked, might be worth while.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive