About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
turnout

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 22 7:41 am    Post subject: turnout Reply with quote

dancing cows

a smallish herd is fun, i have video somewhere, 200000 in a smallish country is ace

dancing cow day is a splendid tradition

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 22 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

local reportage

turnout is loads of fun, dont get in the way and dance with moos

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 22 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is a dedicated day in the UK to let cows out after the winter, but I would expect them to be going out soon in the south.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 22 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it can vary by a couple of months round here depending on the weather, ground temp and dampness, forage growth, etc

some of the best grazing is SSSI and usually has a "not before July" caveat for grazing or mowing. than can make for a second dancing cow day when they mooove from a strip of field to a landscape

a few weeks back the small herd of small moos i saw high in west yorks were out on south facing slopes with enough pasture in each bronze age field to give a few days feeding before mooooving to the next one. the ings moos are after july and do one field and fodder until summer when they have 100 acres of free range grazing on M8/ M12 water meadow

most moos are feedlot and turnout is not as relevant to them as it is to "organic" style moos

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 22 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beef cattle where I buy my meat are let out for the summer. They only take them in when the grass loses its nutrition, and they come out for summer when it starts to grow well again. I wouldn't be surprised if I saw them out again very soon. We saw the cattle on the Ings when we were in York and it was nice to see that they have such a good effect on the grassland there.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 22 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when the EN got it SSSI status they did need a little help to do it properly, things seem to have settled again*

pre SSSI status it was good enough to get SSSI status, desk jockeys need instruction sometimes

not all of my vetch collection survived their first year mowing regime(nor did anything else higher than ten centimetres underground), then they got moos and moo keepers to do it

it seems to be going ok, the new flood defences will change the hydrology etc but tis still a flood meadow

* i can be quite persuasive about environmental matters and i am well above their pay grade
they did understand once it was explained

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 22 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son was at college with a number of people that now grace positions like that. A lot had converted from previous careers. In son's opinion they are an idiot until they prove otherwise. Some of course are very good and understand ecosystems and listen to the people that know.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 22 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how the new paths and drainage and higher flood bank work out will become clear over a few years

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 22 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you say. Hopefully it will all work well with help from the coos.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive