Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
easy dumplings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 22 1:03 am    Post subject: easy dumplings Reply with quote

there are no amounts, i do not know how many you need

by wt
2 units soft flour
1 unit hard fat(i like butter)
as much salt as seems sensible
ditto pepper
ditto baking powder(self raising flour does not have enough)
cold gin(water if you must)

now for the easy bit

put the dry stuff in a bowl in a cold place with a table knife that fits the bowl
let it get cold

chop fat in the flour, stir in flour, avoid clagging or bread making
chill again

add enough, enough is not very much cold gin to mix/chop until ballable, use the knife very gently, do it fast but gently with cutting rather than grinding or mixing

pack gently into a lump, chill again perhaps, cut gently into golf ball size bits

gently drop bits into simmering stew or broth keeping them apart
cover for about 20 mins, look, gently turn dumplings over, give it another ten mins

the gentle bit is the most important aspect, cold gin as the liquid is good as well, as is soft flour
the alcohol in the gin reduces the "uncurling" of any gluten

mechanically challenged dumplings with plenty of stretched gluten are .....umm
unnecessary seems polite
this method works

gz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 22 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alcohol/gluten reaction is interesting

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 22 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems to coagulate the protein at the surface and prevent it from unfolding from the flour

food chemistry

it does give a very good texture compared to cold water

a light touch is important to avoid "kneading" the dough, cold matters to keep the fat solid until it is in the stew

gin works for thin batters such as yorkshire puds or fish batter

re those the amounts thing is a consideration and beer and a gentle stir is ok for those.

with dumplings it only needs a tiny(cheap)bit of cold gin and a chop together into balls, it is quick
big beer batter needs to rest a while for the alcohol to set the protein before a gentle mix and use

same principle different concentrations of reagent

the dumpling mix is more brioche than grapeshot or 1950's creature feature monster

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 22 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably why dumplings are usually made with suet. The problem with adding alcohol to things is that it affects the flavour too, which I find objectionable.

gz

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 22 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly use vodka? No added flavour?

dpack

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 22 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vodka would be fine

a table spoon of gin does not seem to add much to the flavour, compared to water it improves the texture a lot

water at that temp would be ice and the alcohol denatures the surface of the gluten before it can unravel and retard the rise as they cook

high fat grass fed butter or good pesto both make nice dumplings, i am familiar with suet and lard ones, suet has some merit, lard is nourishing

with suet i would make a dough to fill and cook as a suet pudding, ie a long steam in a bowl

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 22 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this recipe to make gluten free or something? I read it twice, but sorry still not picked up the reason for this?

I make dumplings with SR flour, salt, suet and cold water from the tap. No kneading at all, just mix the dry ingreds - twice weight of flour to suet, and enough cold water to gather it together. Pretty easy - lovely fluffy dumplings.

I'm with MR on this.. I wouldn't want the gin in the stew. I'll have mine in a glass whilst I cook, ta.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 22 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sr flour has a bit of gluten, the cold alcohol deals with it and gives an excellent fluffy rise in the hot stew rather than a slimy and oddly solid dough ball(like some i have made with less care )

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 22 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I agree with you Nicky. I don't make dumplings as husband prefers a slice of bread with stew, but the ones my mother made that way weren't particularly stodgy. Luckily they never tried them at school. The Chinese Concrete, euphemistically called by the cooks Chocolate Shortbread, was bad enough, and had to be moistened with custard to make it possible to eat it with a spoon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive