Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Wildlife
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 129, 130, 131  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 22 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a mixed flock, there is not much domestic strife and polite visitors are ok

woe betide a rude tit or rival sparrow town arriving for a match

cats do not visit as the birds call me and the hound if they see one, sometimes we see one and say hello
they have some merit as workers but most are asbo pets

dpack

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 22 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is newii, there is at least one more who may be in other snaps

bird town snaps asap, i need to sift them, today gathered a few

dpack

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 22 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 22 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the other one did pop out but i missed it in both of those snaps

dpack

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 22 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just now there are at least 4 bats, ace i thought we had lost them, and they like my hedge moths, the hedge moths do not have an opinion in time

dpack

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 22 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the justinsons

gz

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 22 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched a programme about seabirds and it was mentioning the drastic reduction in numbers...now this was a ten year old programme...it would have been good to have an update

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 22 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures Dpack.

Gz, we were down at Brownsea Island yesterday and saw a good number of seabirds nesting there. Also, for the first time, saw red squirrels. First I have seen since I was a teenager and that one I saw in Germany. One man managed to get a short video of one of them eating a fungus. His wife had a super long length lens on her camera and didn't get anything like as good a picture as he did on his phone.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 22 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am not sure an update would be comforting, the marine and marginal environment is rather messed up

was that the countryfile sea bird special? it was on early this am, two things that were new to me was the blobby thing on some beaks is a gland for "salty snot", i had wondered why some have it and not others
the other thing was how old some of them are, round here with the terrestials there is a churn in less than dog years

a mix of sea temp creep and industrial harvesting when times were good(animal feed etc)has done for many sand eel habitats close enough to suitable, and traditional as they do imprint to places, nest sites

dpack

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 22 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are 2 small mice from yesterday and a newwi one today

i got a few bad of it but it is happy to lean how to walk while i watch

the bracks have a nestling and are shopping for mealworms and wet worms as well as seeds for them
a couple of sparrows might have started visiting the butchers with meal worms and invertebrates off the plants

snaps of stuff to follow.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 22 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mininui sammison might look ok in those snaps

gz

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 22 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
i am not sure an update would be comforting, the marine and marginal environment is rather messed up

was that the countryfile sea bird special? it was on early this am, two things that were new to me was the blobby thing on some beaks is a gland for "salty snot", i had wondered why some have it and not others
the other thing was how old some of them are, round here with the terrestials there is a churn in less than dog years

a mix of sea temp creep and industrial harvesting when times were good(animal feed etc)has done for many sand eel habitats close enough to suitable, and traditional as they do imprint to places, nest sites

It may not be comforting.
We don't need comforting we need wake up now!!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 22 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were up in the woods late last night firing charcoal and there were at least 4 tawny owls calling. During the day I saw the bluetit coming and going from one of its usual nest sites, so good to know they are with us too. Have heard a wren a lot, but no idea where it or the robin are nesting.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 22 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some superb shots there DPack.

We had bats around our way last week. They were flying very close to our window, great to watch.

Two blue tits yesterday on the feeder, along with robin bobbin around and the sparrows are eating us out of house and home.

Genevieve's eating has slowed down, I hope she's okay?

dpack

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 22 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i rather like pretty birds, why get eaten by leaches and catch exotic diseases in a jungle if cute wildlife will visit.

ps this is a new way to tweak for under 2 mg, does it work on a variety of screens?

it looks ok on this screen, the full fat is 37mg which looks nice

a rather odd slight tweak but it seems to mitigate some screen issues at low res

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 129, 130, 131  Next
Page 130 of 131
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive