Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Wildlife
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 130, 131, 132 ... 188, 189, 190  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 22 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"are you looking at my salty snot gland?"

they evolved as a cliff based species, i spose many cliffs are near salty food. more research needed.

i had been wondering what it was for a while, the woodies don't have them, some seabirds do, some don't, most terrestrial birds don't seem to have them a few do

ps the odd white blob on the nose acts as a "kidney" for salt for many seabirds
pigeons seem to have the drain and miss the bib beak hook for skull anatomy
umm

dpack

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 22 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miniiminii samison, hello mousey to chums rude old man

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 22 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pictures are very slightly pixilated on my screen, but not enough to worry about. Nice pictures. We have mainly woodies round here, probably because we have lots of trees and no cliffs, even man made ones.

We have wisteria flowers outside our bedroom window and was watching a bumble bee on one of them just now. We sometimes tend to get bees coming in at this time of year too as they get lost looking for the flowers, or looking for a quick way back to the hive.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 22 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thr minii sammison one is pretty much as shot, i.e. at about iso 26000/F10 in a dark place and fast enough to catch mousey
it looked grainy from the start
that one just had a a crop and a few tweaks for exposure and balance

the pigeon one started at a decent amount of frame in better light etc
it was far too huge for DS, work in progress

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 22 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mousey is a bit grainy; probably the high ISO number. The pigeon is slightly pixilated, but both are good enough on my screen.

Think we may have seen a tawny owl flying off from near the 'yard' yesterday. It went pretty fast, and disappeared just as we pulled up in the van, but looked like an owl as it had a short, fat, head in front of the wings. Think tawny as quite brownish. We know there are a lot around as we heard them on Monday evening, but first we have actually seen.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 22 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Swifts are back and I'm getting some decent views of them, as they are setting up shop again above our bathroom window. It's amazing how they don't look to slow down as they approach the house.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 22 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swifts are special, ditto house martins

mostly avian but they can do stoal rather well

it would be fun to snap or film them if you can

ages ago i filmed some martins drinking from a greek swimming pool while flying

scooped up water like the fire fighting planes, level, beak in, scoop and accelerate, up and away

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 22 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing those sorts of birds while boating on the canals is interesting. They come in as if they are going to fly into you or the boat and then dip into the water. Either picking up insects or water.

Talking of wildlife, have just found a tick on my arm. No idea where it came from as I have hardly been in the woods this week, and that is their normal source.

Slim

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 22 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We remove ticks constantly this time of year. They can be found anywhere rodents can be found, unfortunately.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 22 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this morning's random visitor was an adult female bullfinch

i had no idea what it was when i saw it, i knew what it wasnt

another species is nice even if it was just a visit

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 22 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a problem with Lyme disease where you are Slim? We are always on the alert for it, although most ticks don't carry it.

Slim

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 22 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and the black legged ticks are present here

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 22 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you do to avoid getting Lyme disease? There is talk of a human vaccine soon, but no sign of it yet.

Slim

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 22 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an effective human vaccine but anti-vaxxers killed it decades ago.
Our primary defense is checking for ticks. I also recommend thorough evening showers. The main thing is to take advantage of how long they typically take to choose a spot to actually take a bite. Contrary to conventional advice, I recommend shorts and sandals. I intercept a lot more ticks that way. Folks wearing pants just find them higher up on their bodies....

If you have a tick bite that may have been there for more than 12 or so hours, or bullseye rash, or flu like symptoms in the summer, than the doctors usually prescribe a one time prophylactic course of doxycycline.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 22 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to get a test for Lyme disease, but apparently it uses antibodies, and I had a bulleye rash some time ago, so will almost certainly have them. If I get one again, I will try to get treatment.

I was sitting yesterday watching a bluetit going backwards and forwards to its nest. It has set up home in the tube of a fore end loader that we rarely use, so it is parked in our 'yard'. The year before last one died in there; not sure if it was a fledgling trying to get out that didn't make it or an adult, so nothing last year, but they are back again now. We also have some in a bird box that is wedged in the creeper on the back of the house, and sometimes see them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 130, 131, 132 ... 188, 189, 190  Next
Page 131 of 190
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive