Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
wych elm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 22 6:41 pm    Post subject: wych elm Reply with quote

I have just noticed, despite having lived here for years, that I have wych elm trees in the hedge. Which is great, as they are rare. They are in the hedge between me and a neighbour though, and it is unclear who owns the hedge. Now I feel I will have to guard them against rash hedge cutting...

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 22 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can resemble hazel, but with 'ears'. We have some in the woods like that. I was walking past one for years without noticing it, then suddenly realised that the bark wasn't eight for hazel and the leaves looked a bit odd. I still have trouble finding that one as it has grown and the leaves aren't at eye level any more. We also have one that more closely resembles English elm, but exactly what it is I have no idea. Most people can't even recognise it as younger people have probably never seen a proper elm tree.

Wonderful you have a hedge with them in. They might start to die off when they get to 20-25 years old, but they will regrow from the roots. The cycle is getting longer, so the trees are developing a certain amount of resistance. Oliver Rackham postulates that a period called 'the elm decline' in prehistory might have been caused by Dutch elm disease, and it has happened in historic times too.

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 22 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:

Wonderful you have a hedge with them in. They might start to die off when they get to 20-25 years old, but they will regrow from the roots. The cycle is getting longer, so the trees are developing a certain amount of resistance. Oliver Rackham postulates that a period called 'the elm decline' in prehistory might have been caused by Dutch elm disease, and it has happened in historic times too.

I think that is what happened, we had a stand of dead trees in the hedge and had a tree surgeon come and take them down and he said their were elm, probably killed off by dutch elm disease. These live trees are just adjacent to where the dead ones were.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 22 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should be good for 20-25 years, perhaps longer this cycle. Luckily it doesn't kill the roots.

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 22 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
They should be good for 20-25 years, perhaps longer this cycle. Luckily it doesn't kill the roots.

that's encouraging, if my neighbour does unwittingly cut them down, they should make a comeback

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 22 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could speak to your neighbour about them and explain the problem.

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 22 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
You could speak to your neighbour about them and explain the problem.

yes, I will. Not sure how much difference it will make.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 22 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully they will understand.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 22 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:

most folk understand if it is explained properly in ways that appeal to them

the joys of sharing rare trees in a mature hedge is a nice start

other guides to understanding are available

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 22 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
Mistress Rose wrote:

most folk understand if it is explained properly in ways that appeal to them

the joys of sharing rare trees in a mature hedge is a nice start

other guides to understanding are available

It's tricky. I've considered it and the neighbour - moved from the big smoke to enjoy the countryside - is likely to have the right thoughts...

BUT, we already live in a national park and in a conservation area, this means, automatically, all trees over 10cm in trunk width are protected. Unfortunately this very fact seems to make people quickly lob stuff down before anyone notices... I shall take some pictures before I mention it... then mention how I took some pictures....whilst I wax on about how wonderful it is.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 22 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diplomatic works wonders at such times

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive