Latest Articles
harvest
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 22 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First runner beans today

Liz in Ireland

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 22 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The power of advertising, is it just me that hums 'Birds eye peas, sweet as the moment, sweet as the moment when the pod went pop' when picking my own peas

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 22 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about 2 kg of blackberries so far

lots of tomatoes in waiting(famous last etc)

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 22 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the herbs have done well this year, the Mediterranean ones have enjoyed life-threatening weather

corsican rosemary is nice
the south of france lavender is doing well, subtle but rather good for cooking if not for bathtime or sock draws

not food but the aloe, good medicine, is also very happy with hot weather

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 22 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is good GZ, mine have only just come in to flower. They are very late this year.

Liz, job done by the advertising agency I think.

DPack, we have blackberries galore down the allotment, I think I'm eating as many off the bush as I'm picking.

Harvested my first green beans the other day. Mamba I think they are.

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 22 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have to stop harvesting blackberries soon, as reaching the point of having more than we will use. Memo to self: must make some blackberry gin.

Today harvested the first of the spaghetti squash and ate half of it with our main meal.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 22 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I freeze my blackberries and make wine from them. Trouble is I can't get any wine yeast at the moment except mail order and the postage is more than the yeast. They are doing well in the garden and starting in the sunny places in the woods. I have a pepper and possibly a couple of courgettes from the greenhouse ready, and had the first nearly ripe tomato a day or two ago. Nothing else is doing a lot in the garden at the moment. Have been harvesting the onions as they are ready, and think I will have to dig some of the potatoes soon as they are looking rather sad.

Slim

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 22 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been picking cherry tomatoes for a short while, grabbed my first red tomato yesterday, but I always harvest early to allow final ripening indoors.
Both produce drawers in the fridge are full of cucumbers waiting for us to get around to pickling them.

Melons are taunting me. Very little visual changes, but seemingly close to harvest, yet not ready. We'll be off visiting family for a bit next week, and I have to assume I'll come home to overripe melons.....

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 22 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with many a gentle knuckle tap on the pointy end will sound unripe as a plink or ready as a thunk

smell can be instructive with some, others have little smell until they are wasp food or sliced open

squeezing them is a bad idea as they get bruised even if they are not ripe

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 22 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bramley apples on the south side of the orchard trees are ready, so the picking has begun.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 22 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed a couple of sweet peppers and a courgette yesterday. Not sure if the peppers are actually ready as they are purple, so no real indication. I have another tomato starting to colour.

Slim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 22 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only sweet purple pepper varieties I know turn red when ripe, but are typically picked unripe (akin to a green bell pepper) because their novelty is in the color.
Just as with green vs red/orange/yellow bell peppers, there will be more sweetness if you wait

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 22 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lots of grade 1 blackberries

the first truss of experimental tomatoes is turning orange, more about that with snaps later

herbs have done well, especially the ones that are usually a bit chilly and missing their Mediterranean homes

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 22 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Slim. The one we had wasn't that good, so will see if they turn red. I got another litre of blackberries yesterday evening, so they have mainly gone into the freezer, with some for this evening left in the fridge.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 22 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the first picking of blackberries in the woods yesterday; got about 1/2 litre.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive