Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Wildlife
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 139, 140, 141 ... 143, 144, 145  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 22 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit, the standard unit of measurement from north of the border known as a "bawhair" is a little easier to visualise

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 22 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cubit is still used in hedge laying. It is regarded as the distance between the elbow and the fingertip and is about 18", but of course will vary between people. It doesn't really matter as it is the distance between stakes in a Southern style layed hedge, so as long as it is consistent it looks good. Not so good on Roman miles though.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 22 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went down the road to get some milk yesterday afternoon and had a good look at the green at the end of the road I pass. It hasn't been cut for a while, so mainly short brown grass, but a lot of the downland plants are growing again, including the wild thyme that I thought had been killed off by putting another telephone cabinet on it. Also some scabious, yarrow, and a few other things, one of which I have to look up. On the way back I saw a couple of humming bird hawk moths. Amazing things. We do sometimes see them, but haven't for a few years.

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 22 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love humming bird hawk moths - we get them every year, they like the buddleia, and buddleia grows like weeds here.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 22 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I saw one was on our buddleia, but it hasn't been very good this year as I think it is too dry. I am sure it will be back next year as like where you live, it grows like a weed here too. In fact there are a couple of plants in the woods that need weeding out.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 22 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the silent summer is still very noticeable, the casualties rates among the avians are shocking

whole species are absent from earshot and eyeball

the most resilient have lost maybe 50%, the rest are down between 50% and "i saw one a few weeks ago"

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 22 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that doesn't seem to have suffered is pigeons round here. They are still as noisy as ever. Have also seen a number of predators; buzzards and kites mainly, but the peregrine has also been seen. Have heard a corvid in the woods, but not too sure what it is; don't think it is a rook or crow. Will have to consult the RSPB site. Our pet 'up the yard' robin, who probably thinks of us as pets is still with us. It came begging during our coppice group AGM the other day, so had to be fed to keep it out the way.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 22 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was sent to me by my brother. He was out doing a spot of weeding and this little guy was hanging about. Reminds me of one of my fishing lures.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 22 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

our in the shade air temps exceeded 45.5C in the "masonry" environments, among moistened trees and bushes and yards it was above 35C, in a roof void nesting space it would have been much higher

anyone trying to preserve eggs or nest chicks is gone, nest hiders like the wrens are gone, most of the tree and bush nesters are gone

the ones who could try to find a cooler place are the survivors

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 22 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow sgt C, your bro has some fine beasts

i am not touching anything those colours covered in spikes unless i have a noddy suit and a decontamination unit

nice snap

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 22 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps i recon a fish would regret a real one more than one with a hook in it

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 22 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea what that is Sgt. Colon, but as Dpack says, I am always very wary of caterpillars with hairs as they can be irritant. Interesting specimen though. Will try to have a look and see if I can find anything. Where does your brother live, as there have been some interesting sightings of butterflies this year?

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 22 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the dawn chorus was not there

some of the daws
some woodies
a few townies
the sparrow survivors are around but quiet and subdued

nowt small, no blackbirds, thrushes etc

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 22 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a sycamore moth caterpillar I think, Stg C.
spectacular - the adult is very dull!

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 22 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DPack, MR and Nicky. It was a new one to me and the most impressive caterpillar I have ever seen.

It sure looks like it Nicky and yes, the adult looks very boring in comparison.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 139, 140, 141 ... 143, 144, 145  Next
Page 140 of 145
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive