Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
knit a cathedral out of trees

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 22 4:47 pm    Post subject: knit a cathedral out of trees Reply with quote

careful with that axe jean

how else could it be done properly?

if macron wants it open in 2024 he had best have a chat with some tent makers and let those who know get on with mending it

i have chatted with some of the folk who mend and maintain our "local church", these things need doing well, if it lasted for hundreds of years until whatever happened that is probably how to do it as restoration(with a few nice modern twists like metal scaffolding and fall arresting harnesses )

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 22 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are hundreds of people in many countries who know how to work with green oak. The timber has come from all over at least Europe and probably beyond as I know some has come from a woodland not far from us. I know several people who have the skills to do this work, so it is not just this community that have the knowledge. In the UK we have many ancient wooden structures, mainly houses and barns, but some churches and cathedrals that have timber framed roofs.

As an aside, when Uppark House had a major fire, a lot of artisans were able to restore it, and having seen it, they made a really good job of it. The skills are still there; you just need to know where to look. A couple of the crafts I do are considered 'endangered' in spite of the fact I know several people who do them.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 22 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lots of folk have endangered skills, they need to be more public

i would be happy to share mine, the problem is you can demonstrate a skill but it will take them quite a few tries with direction to get better at it which takes time, then practice is needed

i am at the last stages of learning to sharpen, polish and hone

close on 6 decades and i still have not passed myself as a master
if you are you know, you know what to strive for, do it, and that is the last stage

insanely sharp is how tt described my in use kitchen knives, most i consider a bit mangled and at best "kitchen dressed"
they are insanely sharp and cutting though

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 22 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hunter gatherer stuff is quite endangered, ditto not really a day course, details and a bit of flavour by dinner time usually seems rather "basic"

you have to live it to develop the skills, be it grow veg or make the blade you need from a stone live it is the best way to learn it

some skills are quite dangeroos to learn, i play with molten metal and edgy chemicals sometimes, i would not want to teach that sort of thing
even the proper use of paints has multiple h n s issues and a lot of practice

i recon best we can hope for is to get folk interested in learning rather than teach them

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 22 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with getting people interested, but they all need a lot of practice. Once you have learnt one skill, I find it is easier to apply it to others. My work as an assembly engineer was partly knowledge and partly skill, so I was never sure if I was an engineer of a craftsman. Probably the same with all engineering. Even plating, although far more scientific these days, I felt I had to get to know the plating baths rather than just follow a set process.

Sharpening is a skill I don't possess, but I can get my tool sharp enough. Husband is rather better at sharpening them than I am. I do a real mixture, so I might be making besoms, or helping with making charcoal, then do spinning in the evening, but also knit, sew, embroider and do all sorts of cooking.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 22 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Guédelon Castle

Isn't that the building that Peter Ginn, Ruth Goodman et al, worked on?

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 22 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, and hundreds of others

school of trad building

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive