Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Wildlife
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 140, 141, 142 ... 188, 189, 190  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 22 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dpack the dawn chorus is definitely missing here too

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 22 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can probably hear 300 x 200 m well enough know the birds and what they were doing

the lists above stand, total wipe out of multiple territories for many species, the reporting for duty are from a very limited selection of species and some of those are very depleted

none of the "song birds" seem to have survived

not seen grin either, but with the warning system dead i might have missed a visitation

i am a bit grumpy about it

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 22 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good news , a new bat

bigger than pipistrelle smaller than noctrel

no idea what sort or if there is more than one popping in for a few moths just this once

i will report back

the sammisons are fine

bird town is adjusting to a now normal, less species and far lower numbers

perhaps a single blackbird at least 3 or 4 "old" territories away at first light, it did not get a reply
morning, day and night are all near silent

the combined sparrow colony have started eating mealworms, either they are trying to breed or plumping up for winter

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 22 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were late up in the woods yesterday and heard perhaps 4 or 5 owls, so the good news is they are doing well. Robins still appear to be all right, as do wood pigeons. Haven't heard thrushes or blackbirds lately, but doesn't mean they aren't there. I have seen a few blackbirds lately. The deer have started going into the fields at dusk again; saw 4 yesterday, 3 in one field and one in another.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 22 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woods probably did not get above mid 30's C which many avians can cope with

a roof void was probably at low oven temps maybe 80+, a nest in the bushes or tree that suits winter(ie wrens) was probably in the high 40's here, exposed was up to and above 45 C, on a sunny ledge it will have been very hot

most round here were on the late summer clutch and trying to preserve eggs or fledglings at the expense of themselves

some species are entirely wiped out

most of the survivors seem to be this year's fledged before the event but too young to be actively nesting

the sparrows have shown a few signs of considering breeding, but extra worms and some diy might be winter prep in grandads house

the mice are fine

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 22 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad the mice are fine if nothing else. Unsuitable nest sites so for a lot of birds unfortunately, especially the less experienced ones.

We have been in Dorset at a show; The Oak Fair at Stock Gaylard. Plenty of swifts or swallows about, all quite high, plenty of flies too. Saw some fallow deer in the Park on the way out. The grass is pretty dry, but the oak trees all look quite healthy. Nearer home the horse chestnut, which suffer from leaf miner anyway, seem to have mainly shed their leaves.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 22 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just had a few minutes with a young wren, it is probably the one i have heard

it and the sparrows have set about the mealworms

a male woodie is working on claiming the empty quarter

no little brown or fancy coloured ones so far, no tits, finches or what is that? visitors or residents

the mice are fine

some invertebrates are doing well, others not

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 22 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have lots of sparrows and the woodies are doing fine. Not seen any blackbirds, tits or robins since the really hot weather.

Geneviève is okay, I've not seen her for a while but the food is still being taken.

gz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 22 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest generation of blackbirds look to be battling for territory.
Smaller birds are gradually moving back in..I am wondering if the local hawks have moved to a different part of our village now that our neighbour no longer has racing pigeons?

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 22 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

masses of sparrows here. And thrushes. some finches and far too many wood pigeons. Jackdaw population is unscathed

lots of sightings of buzzards circling, in groups of 3 usually

gz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 22 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, loads of jackdaws..going after the small birds and their nests

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 22 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rather odd but after solitary chunky bat a few days ago, just now there are at least 2 pipistrelles working the area, pause to go out

that was nice, i was perched at shed roof ht on the watering steps, the flutter of tiny wings made a noise and had a slight draught to my face a few times

2 species in a few days is interesting, especially as the local pipistrelle roost was wiped out by building works

they seemed happy with the hunting airspace even if they are not as local as the last ones

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 22 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bats are ace, i consider them dangeroos though

they are tolerant to hosting a wide variety of viruses that we are less tolerant of, several types of rabies is a proven, assorted haemorrhagic fevers are proven, other things are very plausible and the are a bit af a bacterial hazard as well

doing an androcles to rescue one or prepping one for dinner needs skill and appropriate PPE

apparently a well know telly dragon has rescued one from her cat and then gone for rabies shots when she discovered that they bite and scratch etc

the uk ones are a well known vector for type 3 rabies(not the full "cujo" strain but nasty and often deadly), forrin ones have a variety of unpleasant pathogens

allegedly good eating, easy to feel caring towards, stout gloves and good hygiene might be safe but i am not handling them or going in their house

watch them do bat things is delightful, intimacy of any sort with me is not going to happen, and the bat made a mistake and cat can get the rabies jabs

ps i have played with dangeroos animals, it is not the "terror bat" thing, they are a serious biohazard up close and entirely harmless a few inches away outside, "bat caves" are well nasty

uk ones are top level protected wildlife, so i guess a tory is developing a plan for selling bat meat to the serfs after sacking the bat inspectors

sorry to be a bit jaded, round here the water and air based lifeforms have taken a right bashing recently as destruction means money

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 22 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our robins seem to be all right. The one in the yard has been coming begging as usual, but have seen only one. Could mean it is the end of the nesting season so they have set up their own territories again. We don't see bats very often, but the odd one turns up. Sure we have at least summer roosts in the woods, but a bat at night under the trees is invisible.

I would say a bat cave is dangerous, not only for pathogens, but the high ammonia levels as well. While bats can carry rabies and other nasties, on the whole I don't think British bats are too bad. The rule is that they have to be handled with gloves now as humans are not good for bats either.

Shane

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 22 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK bats, rabies and a greengrocer's apostrophe - as you say, not too dangerous, but still best left well alone.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 140, 141, 142 ... 188, 189, 190  Next
Page 141 of 190
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive