Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
air to air heat pumps work
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 22 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hopefully-new home is in a radon area, so there may be a need for forced ventilation anyway..
Have decided to focus on sealing and insulation first anyway. And a bathroom extractor.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 22 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radon areas do have a varied load property to property, best to gets tests before spending loads on kit

do what is needed based on data

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 22 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but remember that if you have had a radon test, you have to pass this information on when you sell the house. Personally, I would prefer to know and remedy if necessary, but I know lots that say they wouldnt do anything so don't want to devalue their property to find out....

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 22 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
radon areas do have a varied load property to property, best to gets tests before spending loads on kit

do what is needed based on data

Yes there is a 3 month widget you can keep then send for analysis.

The various surveys flagged the radon repeatedly, I'm not sure "not knowing" would be a selling point. If I'm thinking sealing and insulation anyway, then the difference the radon makes is the type of ventilation system. Seems self-defeating to have yourself potentially swimming in radon to make a few extra quid in a few years ...but then people can be very odd!

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 22 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at my age a bit of radon for a good deal on building and location would be acceptable

if i was planning on next gen or decades of "my home" maybe i would be more rigorous re levels and risks etc

tbh living near a road is more of a risk than a granite area

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 22 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as radon is concerned, it is ventilation under the floors that is important. As a gas it seeps from the ground, so any under floor space needs ventilation.

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 23 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been contacted numerous times these last few months about the ECO4 scheme regarding solar panels,air source heat pumps and inside insulation,i`m still not convinced it will be a cheaper heating system,in fact i`m more confused than before.

A couple of years back i had a survey and that company was pushing outside insulation of 75mm till i pointed to the soffit on this 1840 house the attic would be sealed off giving the risk of dry rot,nowadays its the inside insulation that is pushed.

Yesterfday i had a call from a company regarding this scheme,i pointed out my queries regarding the scheme and was told an engineer would contact me to explain in more detail,i received an e-mail from the profect manager,who must have read off the same sales speal sheet.

Just does`nt give one confidence.

Slim

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 23 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The folks who know what they're doing are unfortunately not in sufficient supply

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 23 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what worries me too. On one occasion I told them not to send a salesman, and they did. The queries we had were technical and beyond a salesman.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 23 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ty gwyn it is safest to treat such folk like those who fit replacement windows

some will measure, go away and give you a price

many will try to sell you windows with a variety of hard sell techniques to get you to sign a contract there and then for "the manager's special discount" or whatever

the latter get chased from my sites with a petrol driven disc cutter

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 23 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`m an open minded person and tend to chew things up in my mind before making decisions,but this Government push for everything Electric is just to much for this old fashioned mind to swallow.

A number of years back when i had the survey a different scheme to this ECO4 ,one could only have the solar panels if the EPC rating on the house was higher hence the 75mm outside cladding,when i pointed out the soffit issue i was being persuaded to go for an air source heat pump,when i asked how much electricity it would take to run the pump i was told 1k a year.i told him i did`nt use half of that with 5 big deep freezes for meat.

A farmer near me had this ECO4 scheme,he`s taking out the air source pump as his electric bill was enormous and going back to oil and his wood burners,i need to go visit him one day to see what exactly they done on this scheme.

Slim

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 23 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some separate but interacting issues. From a climate perspective, electrification of as much as possible is critical to minimizing future society costs. (A stitch in time saves nine....)
Would have been much cheaper overall to have made these decarbonization pushes decades ago, but it's only now that we can easily see the real world consequences of greenhouse gases from the '90s. So efforts now may help for the climate in a couple decades, unless we reach enough assorted thresholds for some big rapid consequences (more mass migrations, dwarfing what the world already sees, more extreme weather, eating up resources that could be better used, dinging the global economy, etc)
So, very much a "the best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago, the second best time is now" situation.
So that means we need more people using more electricity.
Building sciences have been in a constant state of evolution, and focus on one approach has often led to new learnings, but also been impacted by changing economic realities, which is why thoughts of insulation, air sealing, appropriate technologies and appliances, etc, keep evolving.

Thermal solar hot water panels used to make some sense. Now they don't. It makes more sense to use the same roof space and upfront investment to just add more solar electric, especially if combining with a heat pump water heater. A solar thermal setup could add to that and reduce electricity usage, but the ROI often wouldn't pencil out now, and then you have issues of plumbing running through roots, etc.....

There was an interesting push towards massive insulation so that almost no energy was needed to hear a building. But folks have since penciled out the ROI and realized it may be better to just get very well insulated, and spend the same upfront cost on solar and a heat pump, etc.

Insulation and air sealing understandings and approaches have had to keep changing. A new building may be well served by one approach that would not work well for an old building. Whether to put insulation on the inside or outside depends mostly on air sealing, and air exchange, and where you anticipate water vapor to condensate.

I think the problem mostly comes from the very human habit of finding a tool that works very well for one problem and attempting to apply it to to many other problems. A bit of that is fantastic experimenting that teaches us new things, but too much leads to problems when individual circumstances are not well considered.

Insulation, air sealing, and energy efficient/decarbonized heading should all be considered holistically, with the first two being prioritized. The cheapest energy is still the energy not needed. Once the heating demand of a building is lowered, the energy needing purchased is much lower.

But electricity costs are a separate but intertwined issue. I don't understand the UK electricity pricing issues, but even if I did, energy markets will continue to evolve and change. I can only speak to my circumstance, and we've aimed to take control over our costs. We no longer have to worry about how expensive propane will or will not be next winter. The loan repayments we make on our pv solar setup are less than we would be paying for the equivalent electricity, but we benefit from net metering, having purchased when costs were lower and interest rates were lower, ymmv. We're needing new cars, and we're going to keep driving ours until we can affordably get new electric ones. We expect to be able to get them for about the same cost as new gas powered cars, but I'm pretty frugal and will be working hard to find the best deals and incentives and expect I can probably get us vehicles for much less than many folks spend for typical gas cars (but that's probably true of any vehicles I try to buy). Anyhow, when the time comes, we'll either invest in more solar generating potential, out just plan to purchase from the grid. Either way, I will know what my cost per energy unit will be for at least the coming year, if not the coming decades (depending on if we invest in more PV or not), leave the house with a "full tank" every time and not have to worry what the cost at the fuel pump is. That's gotta be worth something to anyone, regardless of how they feel about decarbonization.

If we do things right, and as battery technologies improve, we may get to the point where we can use EVs as whole house batteries in combination with our solar, and completely detach from the grid, and have no utility bills other than internet service.

Folks who don't know to think about appliance lifespans, maintenance and replacement costs, etc, may still get caught off guard, but that's true of any energy sources.....

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 23 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting Slim. We are hoping for a guided tour of next doors house when it is complete as they have gone for high insulation of an existing house, solar power and a heat pump. They have the sense to have a wood fire as well just in case.

We have gone over to cooking more using a microwave and an air fryer rather than the gas cooker. I still use that for baking and a few other things, but roasts, grilling and odd jobs get done with electricity. A combination of usage, government schemes and moaning at the gas company has reduced our bill from over £250 per month to just over £60 per month. I told them we were paying too much!!!!!

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 23 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my family leccy tradition started in the late 1880's
it has some merits

sticks, stones and string have some merits, even that was a bit rough on the mega fauna of places not used to folk with a taste for giant chickens etc

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 23 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Radon update - no significant levels found. Haven't fitted that extractor fan yet but have had the bathroom window open since about March)

I think the problem is retrofitting. Insulation is great! Until it has effects on the water vapour within and throughout the building. I loathe passivhauses, they suffocate me. But there has to be a midway point of just enough intervention to give benefits. Perhaps, for older folks in older houses, the way forward is actually light weight battery operated heated clothes? With minimal "frost proofing" house heat?

That's not considering the increasing impact of summers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive