Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
relaxing pollution enforcement, with fishy update
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 22 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

late shellfish news

pyradine at high levels, no solid data for algae, a year's dredging and dumping offshore in a couple of weeks cos they had a big boat

toxic dredging sludge is top of my list at the mo, the tees estuary has been an industrial drain and dump for close on 200 yrs

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 22 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps the dogs have a well known viral gut infection, nowt to do with the shellfish etc.

Shane

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 22 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More of the same.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 22 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I saw that article too. Defra found pyridine, but they didn't consider the quantities high enough to cause trouble by the sounds of it.

gz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 22 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar article today
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/feb/10/my-heart-is-broken-death-of-marine-life-is-devastating-englands-fishing-industry

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 22 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dredging restarted

the tees freeport, which is seen as a nice earner by some in government, does seem to have got off to a very bad start in the maritime environment and fishing business

wait til the pirates arrive for the full effects of the deregulation aspects to manifest on shore and internationally

Shane

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 22 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defra's explanation that stormy weather is responsible for the deaths of razor clams does seem like rather a stretch

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 22 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i was looking for a cause, found large amounts of pyridine that correlates to dumping silt from dredging the tees to give enough draft for the tory tees "freeport" i might consider that more plausible than storms there were no unusual storms at the relevant times and algal blooms do not occur at considerable lower water temps than the algae require for blooming, nor were they observed

as"reasons" go this is up there with to see the famous 123M spire and we came under fire from the crowd

as i mentioned before , doing basic analytical stuff on samples from the affected areas and fishy things has shown large amounts of pyridine which has these effects on aquatic lifeforms

a chain from old silt to dredger to dumped offshore to flowing to the relevant places on the prevailing current to killing marine life has credible evidence at every stage

the problem may be a rigged "court" protecting those who want to profit from the freeport project, iirc mates/family members of sunak and others are involved, assorted donations may have been involved in the process of getting freeport support

starfish and a few blokes with crabs are of no consequence if "we will all be billionaires in 3 years"

gz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 22 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked pryridine in Wikipedia

Shane

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 22 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shane wrote:
Unlikely to be sewage, as a major release would kill by depleting the water of oxygen, and that would affect the entire water column. I'd guess that something toxic and heavier than water has been released, which would also explain the near-dead rather than completely dead state of many of the crustaceans. Interesting that there are no bottom-dwelling fish there, but maybe whatever has caused it affects crustaceans more than other groups of species.

Reading back through the thread to my post of nearly 11 months ago, I still see no reason to revise it. For "major sewage release" read "algal bloom".

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 22 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the local fisherfolk have seen algal blooms in the past

they have seen none recently

it has been too cold for the "wrong sort" of algae

a major sewage load would be rather dilute by the time it was a few miles offshore and spread along a 50+ mile streak

newcastle has no problems down current

teesside does

and pyradine at high levels has been detected

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 22 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

channel 4 news have done a rather useful report

a chain of misdeeds, distractions and lies from gov, defra and the defra silt dumping sub division who knowingly permitted over toxic silt to be dumped at sea regardless of the rules say it should not be(on the grounds that the tees is traditionally highly polluted, not much since the heavy industry shut down)

dodgy methodology for testing silt by the dredgers, permitting dumping regardless of breaching international limits even with under testing, knowledge of the high pyridine levels in the silts by the defra silt department, a false algae claim including using a photo of rusty water to back up the false algae claim, dubious claims of the economic and employment benefits of the "freeport" and "development zones" that are backed by tory cronies/rellies and donors (much like various other money extraction schemes, ppe, test track and trace, serco et al etc)
pyridine in the water and shellfish along the coast, pyridine shown to cause the effects observed in the wild when lab tested on shellfish, pyridine stays in the water column and drifts down the coast from where the silt is dumped and the solids drop out

and a few other bits about seals dying and tourists not visiting and folk giving up fishing and other bad stuff

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 22 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and in onshore and inshore coastal news

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 22 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be partly the EAs fault, but they are chronically understaffed and politically have been pretty well told to leave well alone. Regulation and enforcement, with the ability to enforce or nationalisation are needed to sort this I am afraid.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 22 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

partly my fault , i have not bought a rod licence for a long time as i do not fish sewers and do not need one

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive