Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Wildlife
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 148, 149, 150 ... 188, 189, 190  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 22 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I knew a chicken called 'Cluck' which was inclined to be rather too assertive. It attacked one lad, but I showed it who was boss, and it realised it wasn't getting anywhere with me, so was at least moderately well behaved. As it was inclined to pinch peoples lunch, it was lucky not to end up as lunch itself. In the end it went to a farm where it bullied the pygmy goats.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 22 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were on a walk in Edale last week and I spotted this in a few places in different fields. I'm not sure if you will be able to see it right on here but when you zoom in they look like small yellow eggs.

Doe anyone know what it might be or from what beastie it might be from?

Slim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 22 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not enough resolution for me to see detail, but the first thing I would rule out is slime mold. Google "slime mold grass" and compare

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 22 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be as there are a lot of that sort of thing around at the moment.

We were out in the coppice yesterday, and the volunteer with me saw a sparrowhawk shooting through the wood. A high speed pigeon was in front, but got away. We also saw a group of enormous fungi on some fallen rotting wood. Not sure what it is, so will have to consult the book.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 22 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were unloading a charcoal kiln yesterday and on one of the dumpy sacks we use there was a peacock butterfly. Sat there opening and closing its wings. Son got it onto his finger and put it back into our charcoal shed on a plank of wood. It had gone later, so assume it moved round into a darker and more comfortable place. So lovely to see.

gz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 22 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope that butterfly survives ok!
We have a few tortoiseshell butterflies hibernating in the corners of our bedroom ceiling and the bike room..I try and persuade the ones that start flying around into the latter as it is cool but not freezing in there.
When should I put them out....March or April?

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 22 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
butterflies hibernating in the corners of our bedroom ceiling and the bike room

delightful

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 22 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm constantly chasing butterflies out of the house at the end of summer - they think it a good place to hibernate but it all goes wrong for them when I start lighting the fire and it warms up and they think it is spring. Also had to shoo a queen wasp out yesterday.

Saw a kingfisher by the river yesterday, that was lovely.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 22 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We hope it survives too, as there are spiders in there, but as it is open fronted, it will stay cool. Lovely to have them in the house.

Haven't seen any queen wasps round lately, but they do try to get into our odd corners in the woods and have to be chased out. Then in spring they try to set up home and have to be chased out. Occasionally we cut or split some wood and find one in there, so that has to be rehomed.

Seeing a kingfisher is rather special. We don't have any water near us, so the only time we ever saw them was on the canals.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 22 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, queenie and flash+2 others just hand fed

crazy old bird man, ok

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 22 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's lovely Dpack. I wonder if they think they are just humouring us when they let us hand feed, or whether it is really a sign they trust us.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 22 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a blackbird in next doors garden the other day. It's the first I've seen around our way since the really hot weather we had. I'm hoping more will start to come back. Also saw a tit yesterday but I'm not sure what it was. I know it wasn't a blue tit, it was nice to see something a little different on the feeders.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 22 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you draw a circle with a mile long bit of string from our house, we know of one blackbird rather than hundreds

gz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 22 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are seeing them back here, but we are on the edge of a scheme, and have farmland and a nature reserve around the village.
Fairly reduced numbers, I get the feeling that it is youngsters establishing territory

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 22 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

queenie and flash locked wings, when they had full crops they allowed 2 more pairs to help them finish the handful of seeds from a side each

looking down at it was fun, 6 birds in one hand, and they were all polite (no naughty customers will be served )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 148, 149, 150 ... 188, 189, 190  Next
Page 149 of 190
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive