Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Wildlife
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 150, 151, 152 ... 188, 189, 190  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 22 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some "domestic" pigs can be interesting, some "wild"ones charming
it depends on circumstances and relationships

ps i did nightclimb a tree in the forest of dean

re boar in the woods, they do sort of belong in woodland, although they create a different flora to human foresters with no porcine comrades/tasty feasts.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 22 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In low numbers domestic pigs are good in a woodland. There are some kept in one not too far from us to keep the brambles and other things down in plantation. Wild boar tend to dig things up rather a lot so aren't good for the general flora, or anyone working or visiting.

gz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 22 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had heard that domestic pigs are good for eradicating bracken?

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 22 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

piggies are ace gruntavators, no idea if they can remove bracken(probably if there is food among the root balls)

planting trees into the bracken after fire was a good start

trees are slow but effective, pigs might be a good start

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 22 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

piggies in a place they are new to will change the ecosystem big stye le

gz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 22 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen a picture of efficient Tamworth diggers on Knepp Wilding's Instagram feed

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 22 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good at preparing land for cultivation. There is a pig farm not too far from us where they keep pigs on the ground for several years, then grow crops for a few years. Pigs clear the ground of weeds and fertilise it well, so no weeds to compete.

Not too sure about Knepp. If they want to run their estate like that, fine. Trouble is, too many people are jumping on the 'Rewilding' bandwagon with no idea of what they are talking about. We have been told by a 'Rewilding' advocate that we shouldn't do anything to our woods. We have left one area completely untouched for nearly 20 years now, and it although it is slowly opening up, there are still no flowers or significant open space. Other areas where we have restored coppice are full of flowers for a few years, which attracts butterflies and other insects, which attract bats, birds and small mammals, which also eat the fruit and nuts.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 22 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm
rewilding, whatever it may be, needs a home of its own

in birdtown news, a sparrow known as prince justinson has a rather fetching white gold necklet and was very funny while pecking a pushy pigeon on the bum

the one who will be king has style, i will try for snaps as he is extra splendid in his coronation robes

considering the light at the mo i need to sort some shiny for any winter snaps that might be decent quality

the speedlight is just too wrong for wildlife with eyes

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 22 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds as if he has ideas above his station as a sparrow in the pecking order. An interesting chap.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 22 7:04 pm    Post subject: rip jet black Reply with quote

older than i thought

subtle and perfect

they were pretty good live the twice i saw em, golden brown is genius but was lost on most of the live audience first time i heard it

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 22 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my cup of tea music wise, so didn't bother with it. Sad he had died, but seems he was ill for a long time, poor man.

Trouble is, a lot of the musicians we remember from our youth are getting old, which is rather worrying when some pop off at an earlier age than I am now. Only probably applies to the more ancient among the Downsizer clan of course. My inner teenager still remembers them in their 20s.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 22 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: rip jet black Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
older than i thought

subtle and perfect

they were pretty good live the twice i saw em, golden brown is genius but was lost on most of the live audience first time i heard it

that bit of sad news was sposed to be in a stand alone thread

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 22 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyway, back to birdtown news, 2 coal tits visited the trees over the alley

the first i have seen since the heat event

still no dik

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 22 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it drops cold:

please remember to break the ice with birdtown, dehydration is a bigger risk than hypothermia or starvation(extra food and more calories is good though)

warm water in the water bowl
a warm rock in the water bowl

even if it only stays available for a few hours a day it will make a difference

if you have a pond use an axe or whatever to make a water supply for the wildlife(at the shallow edge to avoid any tragedies)
a tennis ball can help to keep a small bit open

re other critters, they might be dormant or in the bunker, however if they rely on a food you supply extra will help as will increasing the calorific content offered, give the mice some extra nuts although that is an unfortunate phrase considering mr ballsi sammison

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 22 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

queenie is a tarty monster, flash has been replaced and is getting battered and badly pecked when he objects

queenie and the new chap were told to get a room after dining from my hand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 150, 151, 152 ... 188, 189, 190  Next
Page 151 of 190
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive