Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Wildlife
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 155, 156, 157 ... 188, 189, 190  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 23 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been recording sightings of first bluebell leaves in the wood for about 20 years now. They seem very random, and this year is a lot later than most. Also record when the wood anemones and bluebells come into flower, and that also seems a bit random and for some reason not associated with the appearance of the leaves.

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 23 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:

have you seen the cherry blossom graph from japan?

CBDay is a rather good marker for climate over many centuries

that was built from lots of local, historical observations, the frogmen might be building a historic/contemporary data base, if not why not start one?

I believe various amateur recordings of nature timings have been taken seriously over recent years.

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 23 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so I should be cooking tea.. however.. a frogspawny graph. I think I would say the trend is for the first sighting of frogspawn to be getting earlier.. but not really enough data to be sure. If you only looked at the data from 2010 onwards it is more convincing.. but 2007 - 2009 are less convincing.. which just goes to show that data is easily manipulated to show what you want it to show... I still think it is interesting though*.

*although I am a nature nerd...

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 23 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the trend seems clear and quite strong over a couple of decades

Anomalies and "wobbly lines" are part of an overall pattern and are just part of making sense of stats

well done for getting a series of data points over a decent timescale on one site
adding lots of other sites and time windows would be interesting

that spawning line reminds me of the winter temps one, do later spawns correspond to chilly winters and early to warm ones?

another biological thermometer would be

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 23 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quite a hard frost this morning - so no doubt those first batches of frogspawn wont make it, but there will be later spawnings.. there always are.
It would be interesting to record other sites - but harder - It is relatively easy to check my own garden pond every day in January.

Interestingly 2018 was the year of the beast from the East. We were snowed in in Mid march - I know because I had to rush home from a few days away and only just made it, and we were snowed in for a week. Doesn't show on the graph as significant at all.. I guess it was mild in Feb.. Sooo not sure if the recorded data says anything at all, but I shall carry on recording it.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 23 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a bit cool is usually fine so long as the eggs are under the ice layer and reasonably oxygenated, poles are a bit more vulnerable as they do not do stasis as well as jelly eggs
they may well be ok

birdtown news, that pigeon had an unscheduled terrain interaction

it left a decent print on the window, crown first at about 40mph
i do not know how it is feeling yet

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 23 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly we don't have frogspawn at the moment as first the frogs got red leg, then the pond sprung a leak which we haven't sorted yet. When we did, we often found the spawn above or on the surface froze so failed, but the stuff under the water was fine.

As for snow and cold weather, we have had bluebells in flower in snow and they didn't appear any the worse for it. The leaves this year are still not doing too much. I don't know how many are in the coup I am working at the moment, but haven't seen very many at all. At present all we have is wild arum.

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 23 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my experience the earliest batches of frogspawn are usually a tad too early and get frosted- though the eggs on the underside might be ok. but there will be further batches of spawn appearing later on in the season. it all works out.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 23 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello mousy mr b is looking buff and sleek

he may be out of the nest at the mo which means minimice are immanent

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 23 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw a pair of robins yesterday perched within a foot of each other in our hedge. They then disappeared inside, so assume nest building, or at least site selection underway. Also saw a very smart male blackbird, so courting at least I would say. More bluebell leaves coming up now, but still rather scant in some places.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 23 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

birdtown news

5 or maybe 6 pairs of sparrows in the local flock

quite a few justin line ones(3M 2FM), only one "royal pair"

all look well, hopefully they will have a good year and fill the gaps

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 23 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ballsi sammison is rather busy collecting food and delivering it to the woodshed, rather than to a bunker, so i suspect there will be the scurry of little paws soon

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 23 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good Dpack. We were out in the coppice yesterday and heard a thrush singing as we were walking up the footpath. More bluebells up. Lovely in the sun, but rain came in overnight and still raining, although luckily it is supposed to go over later.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 23 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ren seems to like the assorted minibeasts in various overwintered plants

only one afaik at the mo, hopefully it will find a mate as there is room for quite a lot of them among the local gardens and bushes

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 23 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new dik is polite with sparrows(he gives ground) and comfortable nearme

queenie gave a private audience while i fed her seeds by hand, page of the palm would be a nice title

it works better without the boys trying to join in, she slaps them wicked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 155, 156, 157 ... 188, 189, 190  Next
Page 156 of 190
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive