Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Wildlife
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 158, 159, 160 ... 190, 191, 192  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 23 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in woodland, by sound* is the only sensible option for a broad scope on birdtown
*or by the lack of sound
when you get to know them "a little bird told me" has deep meaning

my seaside hols added a species to noises and radio 4 told me what they are when they are a couple of days later and 5 miles down the coast

eider ducks are hilarious, they keep laughing at each other's jokes and laughter is contagious even to me at 4 am

nice to add another species to "it is those" even if i don't understand their language yet
as for mystery animals making noises, they are among the funniest i have ever heard and later identified

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 23 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps unless i am very mistaken, the blue bird is a kittiwake

i have a different opinion to a seal whether they are edible or not

it gave me a half-eaten one, bbq legs are not food unless in extremis, even then i would be thinking bait rather than snack

that thing tasted horrible even for fishy game

pps seals are ace when you get to know each other

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 23 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boy and girl owl in birdtown, it took quite a while

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 23 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice you have a pair now. I think we have at least one pair in the woods, probably more. Have only ever seen one clearly and that was quite recently, although we have been aware of them for the whole time we have been there.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 23 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the nightingale is still seeking similar
mice busy
sparrows altering their diet to more sunflower seeds, not hit the mealworms yet
a fairly tame and very plump woody is a regular
queenie flash dudley and speckly have forgiven baldrick for having a week away
new dik seems a decent sort of chap(some are a bit rude and get beasted by massed sparrows)

the jackdaws of roslin seem to be doing ok

the two from the chimney say hello when they see me, very androcles, considering how traumatic that must have been for them at the time
i am surprised they do not remember me as part of the problems rather than rescuer sharing their perils(soot really messes me up) and all three of us were coughing and choking, bouncing off the walls, etc

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 23 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it it was the jackdaws bouncing off the walls rather than you.

We had a volunteer group yesterday for the first time in ages and went into the lower part of the wood where I haven't been for a bit. Wood anemones starting to come into flower; they seem to come up either in flower of flower within a few days. Primroses and violets in flower and the ground looking really green now with a mixture of bluebell, wild garlic and dogs mercury leaves. The odd bluebell thinking about sending up a flower spike, but most hopefully will be a couple of weeks yet. It is nicer when we have a separate wood anemone and bluebell season as it takes longer and the smells are completely different so best separate.

Heard a thrush and chiff chaff, but not a lot else. Blackbird singing in the garden.

gz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 23 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have had thrushes really early...a combination of aeroplane takeoff at 3.45 am and street lights
Blackbird turf wars, chaffinches, sparrows mob handed like the starlings and our resident wren. The collar doves and jackdaws canoodling on the telephone line pole....plus too many gulls and magpies.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 23 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I take it it was the jackdaws bouncing off the walls rather than you.

it would be less than truthful to say that he who your servant refers to with the perpendicular pronoun had no contact with any surfaces during the event

magic sponges are my friend

thinking of such things, the pigeon angel print on the outside of this window has survived 2 washes and a winter

the wren seems to be a regular for finding wriggly things in the brambles

the two young daws mentioned from the chimney debacle were on the roof a few mins ago, they definitely know me
i will research daw treats and see if they will feel comfy enough to come close
it might be they are more nervous of the sparrows than they are of me,
the sparrows are rather territorial to any they see as a potential threat

birdtown seems to be doing spring here as well

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 23 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have a new pigeon angel on the outside of the window

i ducked as it swerved in at high speed, it thumped, it left

hope it is ok, it was quite a bump

tt cleaned the insides, perhaps the front to back looks flyable that one was not expecting a sudden stop

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 23 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason they don't seem to be able to see glass very well, even if it isn't particularly clean. We sometimes get them flying into our bedroom window, which is surrounded by creeper. It is possible to see light through from the front of the house, but not directly. Luckily the creeper under the window is thick enough to catch them so they can recover.

Found a bank in the woods yesterday where there are a lot of violet plants. They are coming through, but no flowers on them yet. Did find some in an open area in flower though. One small part of the coup we are cutting at the moment must get quite a lot of light and warmth as a few bluebells coming up to flower there. Don't think we are going to get separate wood anemone and bluebell season this year, although they might surprise me.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 23 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i recon my flock have been moonlighting for the indian police next to last photo is solid evidence about speckly, flash and dudley

a few weeks back i did consider taking one or more of them on an adventure, i decided they might not like it
looking at snaps of those who are good at it, the locals are of good stock

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 23 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One problem with the dependence on computers, phones and similar is that they only work if you have a signal. Gregotyn couldn't get a signal at his house, only in one of his upper fields, which was one reason he gave up posting as he had to go to a fairly distant library. As it says in the article, in times of trouble, these methods fail, so pigeon post or amateur radio can be the only link to the outside world.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 23 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Husband and son saw something interesting yesterday. A sparrowhawk killed a pigeon and they landed in the road not far in front of a learner driver. The sparrowhawk decided its meal would be safer elsewhere so flew up into a hedge with it. Son got a picture, which I haven't yet seen, but he said it was hard to see which was sparrowhawk and which was pigeon.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 23 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting thing to see and snap

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 23 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many many jackdaws, at least 4 times more than just the local flock

sparrows are quite springlike and may have started laying, afaik there are no nestlings yet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 158, 159, 160 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Page 159 of 192
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive