Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
relaxing pollution enforcement, with fishy update
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 23 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will revise my visit to the west coast

the river data is pretty nasty and only a fraction of the actual situations

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 23 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the article says, some water companies are better at monitoring their discharges than others. Southern Water is not on that list of the most polluting companies of coastal waters, but they probably don't monitor their so much judging by the huge fines they got a few years ago.

Slim

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 23 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the pair of recent articles from the guardian about PFAS in UK rivers

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 23 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep,

the water supply side of things is getting attention, the supplier's excuse of it is OK because we diluted it below the legal limit is a bit thin when dealing with cumulative toxins and untested combinations

re coast, we are away to Northumberland, i might give my usual beach forage a swerve until i have done a bit of research among the local experts
getting to the huge mussels and smallish lobsters is a little dangeroos from plausibly getting battered and drowned without getting poisoned if i get back to dry land safe and dryish

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 23 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dredging was recently resumed, the tory mayor who gets a mention has personal and family and crony links to the freeport development and is also a tool of the bigger fishi things

Ben Houchen, they do have names sometimes

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 23 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading another report is seems the dead crustaceans are associated with a black deposit which should be easy enough to analyse. I wonder if anyone has done it yet.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 23 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no comment

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 23 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is appalling. There are a number of other waterborne diseases that I don't think will be routinely tested for including polio.

On the up side, there was a report in our local paper that new oyster beds are being created in two sites near us. Not sure if they will work, or if the oysters will be edible, but at least a positive.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 23 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

polio, hold my coat

process critical PFAS discharges make me rather critical of the processor and their processes as well as the suppliers of the "necessary" chemicals

critical thought can offer up a variety of conclusions, one might be i could approve of this if it was human specific

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 23 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps oysters etc can be put in a tank of filtered seawater which has uv sterilisation of the water, oxygenation etc and are fed "approved" food for a couple of weeks to "clean" the shellfish at which point they will test safe for coliforms etc

it reduced biological challenges a lot, it makes little difference to metals and other sequestrated chemicals such as PFAS in the flesh

on the plus side many of the biological challenges are mitigated with the most delicate of cooking
and beef and oyster stew is about as sterile as a sterile thing, chemically it may or may not have some unexpected and unwelcome ingredients

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 23 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh dear the power of suggestion, i now have some beef and 8 Icelandic oysters

flip to recipes section rather than this one

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 23 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This class of chemicals does need regulating and Reach can do that if properly applied to the class rather than specific chemicals. which it was designed to do.

I think there would be extensive testing of oysters from either of the local beds before they were passed as fit for consumption, but that is a long way ahead as at present they have just been started so need to expand the numbers by multiple times before any fishing will even be possible.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 23 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

otters don't vote

gz

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 23 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good article.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 23 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought so, i do not always agree with him, we seem opposite sides of does it matter on some subjects, this time we agree on what and how

mostly on how, i would not be buying back utilities etc as they were stolen goods when they fell into private hands

maybe refund the original purchase price to any that have acted responsibly(a rather empty spreadsheet), the otters can send a letter about goodwill compensation if they feel it must be done

re the hydrology/landscape/polluters stuff he is spot on

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 6 of 11
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive