Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
commercial blended "honey"

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 23 6:42 pm    Post subject: commercial blended "honey" Reply with quote

it has been a problem for a long time, the extent of the uk mislabelling is perhaps unsurprising

time to grease the locks on the pillory

and to buy from beeks or try to seek beek single hive or seasonal by forage type from several hives in trusted shops after due diligence

not honey is only part of the problem, the use of assorted bee preserving medicines and vermicides as well as post bee contamination with ????? is also a consideration

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 23 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imported blended honey has been a problem for years. Every so often there is a crisis when antibiotics or something else nasty are found in supermarket honey, and it all gets pulled off the shelves.

As far as sugar is concerned, it is common for British beekeepers to have to feed their bees sugar at certain times of year, but this is usually cane sugar syrup as that is easiest to get and there are some potential problems with beet sugar. Some of this may get into the honey, but this is certainly not to defraud anyone, but to ensure the bees stay alive through the winter or a cold wet spell in summer.

If you can afford it, local honey is always best as it contains pollen from local flowers, so may even help people with hay fever. You also know where it comes from.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 23 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some of the stuff tested was more sugar than honey

a bit from feeding the bees in winter or bad weather i am happy about, cutting honey with sugar is simple fraud

the "contaminants" are a bit of a problem, a few years ago i was half way down the third kilo size jar when the product recall hit the news

no apparent immediate harm done, but i was probably evolving antibiotic resistant bugs on a microdose of dubious antibiotics

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 23 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a bit of fuss a few years ago when a judge ruled that pollen was a contaminant. Not heard anything lately, so assume that was over ruled at some point as without microfiltration, which is not possible for amateurs and smaller beekeepers, it can't be removed. As you say, the worrying things are the antibiotics and where the honey is purposely adulterated with sugar.

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 23 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:

a bit from feeding the bees in winter or bad weather i am happy about, cutting honey with sugar is simple fraud

It's standard practice to take all of the honey and then feed the bees with sugar... Although I did get shouted down here for saying that once. The old way was to leave enough honey for the bees... but honey is worth a lot more than sugar... so.....
Feed sugar syrup to bees when their supers are in place, they will process it just like nectar and the real honey gets diluted with sugar syrup. I'm guessing that what you extract from the supers can be called honey regardless of how much of that is really sugar syrup....

So there are two areas of fraud... feeding the bees too much sugar at the wrong time of year, and then cutting the honey with sugar when processing it.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 23 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is true. It also depends on the weather; a cold snap during the summer, or the bees being kept in by long periods of rain, and you have to feed them. We tend to leave some honey on for them for stores and feed if necessary, but either way to make sure they have enough to get them through the winter.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive