Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
so called simple jobs

Author 

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 23 2:29 pm    Post subject: so called simple jobs Reply with quote

replace a blum hinge as the"new" kitchen unit had a bit of a metal fatigue moment after 20 plus years

Disregarding the physical stuff of doing the tools, remedial hinges are challenging even if you have done it a little more recently than that cabinet was made

if i priced this on gray book+33% and had only got this far, it might be the legend of "on the beech"

second try at hinges has promise, but it ain't hanging yet

in the old times i would have done this as see it, chose a pair of hinges from the 3 boxes, do it and go in about half an hour

these ones were rather door specific for blum style and first try was only a bit funny

a month and a few mins into a 1/2 hr job it has potential to work as a door

wonky wood in a wonky building, no prob but it will cost for the time
when the metal parts that fit the metal lined hole have not been made for decades it gets a bit challenging

good if unusual blum hinges, but plugging the holes and routing new ones would have been quicker than an almost restoration with a near fit

dpack

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 23 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the last bit was surprisingly easy, apart from it fits in its half of the carcase better than the one on its old hinges

dpack

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 23 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

too soon, the wonderful cabinet was designed with the hinge screw position between the frame and a small glued on bead

that just bent off the surface of the ex 2 1/2 inch timber, an ex 3 inch and the screws would be structural

the original doors were attached between the frame and a bead held on with glue as an afterthought to allow the hinges to be attached

words have been used and stronger words thought appropriate

i can fix it, but it should not be an issue

dpack

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 23 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

put together by the same person that did the rather inventive drainage

it could have been the not a spark so small mercies etc

chances are i can remedy it without too much bother, glue and screw should do it

me doing it at knee ht, not so much fun even if i sit on the dog's dining table

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 23 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do sometimes wonder about designers. My bete noir is cleaning things. I really do think that designers should have to clean things they design on a regular basis after use so they can find all the odd corners that refuse to be cleaned easily.

We also had an 'interesting' DIY job yesterday evening. Husband is replumbing the sewage system as the upstairs bathroom he installed a few years ago has always had a rather Heath Robinson waste system that goes at a rather shallow angle some distance across before going downwards (the bathroom and several other rooms are in the roof). As it is inclined to block every so often, he is now replumbing the whole lot. We got to the stage of putting a new pipe from outside, across the downstairs bathroom (the ceiling is to be lowered as far too high at present) and up into the roof space. This involve a set of steps and me holding the pipe up with a broom from below. Shades of putting plaster board on the ceilings of our first house 50 years ago. After a bit of fiddling and cursing the pipe did go in all right, so just the top connection to make now I think.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 23 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I do sometimes wonder about designers. My bete noir is cleaning things. I really do think that designers should have to clean things they design on a regular basis after use so they can find all the odd corners that refuse to be cleaned easily.

kitchen gadgets,

chainsaws, ok, one spanner and a file is quite good, the nooks and crannies inside the body are a total ming magnet and most could probably be designed out of the internal shapes

even if done at the end of a day getting the bits out is far harder than it needs to be
if the woodcrete has the right mix of resins oil and sawdust doing after it sets is difficult to do without damage and takes ages even if you soften it with fuel

i dont know if stihl have complex crannies as i dont like em and the ones i have field stripped had all been recently field stripped
huskies have a few crannies that even a good dental hygienist would find challenging but they suited me far better in use

dpack

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 23 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it fits, it is solid, it hurt

apparently the doors were "optional" which might explain the afterthought bead

gorilla glue and decent screws are a level up from a penny lick of pva

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive