Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
relaxing pollution enforcement, with fishy update
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 23 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the people that live the otherside of the bridge over the river Lugg in Herefordshire are over the moon since John Prices excavations,their homes have not flooded since,which was a regular occurence with the EA`s maintenance of the river and the blocked up bridge portals.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 23 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't build or buy on a flood plain

my comments on him or those who think they benefit from what he has done are not suitable for here
even a marine's shockproof watch would be horrified at my words and themes on those subjects

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 23 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The house`s i mentioned have been there longer than us,the EA could`nt even clear the timber debris from the bridge portals,hence the flooding.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 23 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I don't think it is a good article in some ways. As Ty Gwyn says, the local estate, which has been there for quite a time by the sounds of it, used to flood regularly mainly because of a blocked bridge. Farming is not the 'enemy' he portrays them as, although a lot needs to be done to educate and provide alternatives for farmers about slurry and other manures.

Yes, the farmer did far too much, and possibly at the wrong time of year. Perhaps the estate should never have been built, but there is not a 'right' and 'wrong' way to manage all rivers for their full length. We were involved in some restoration work in the New Forest where the wetlands were restored, and that certainly reduced flooding further downstream. It was the right solution in the right place, but might not have been if it caused flooding of farmland or housing where the restoration occurred.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 23 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do that to my river and get a home visit

dpack

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 23 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big picture chemicals

telling the government something must be done is telling the fox to shut the flap as it leaves the henhouse

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 23 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The effect of chemical cocktails is rather difficult to assess. It depends on the exact mixture, the sensitivity of the subject and all sorts of other things. I have no reason to doubt those findings, but it is hard enough to sort out for humans let alone an number of different species in a range of habitats. Having studied chemistry in the past, I understand the advantages it can bring, but also the dangers, which have to be assessed very carefully.

As an aside, it worries me that, for instance, I can't get just soap any more. I always look on the packet to see what is in the 'cleansing bar' and as far as I can see we have gone a long way from just a fat and an alkali.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 23 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anecdote about chemical cocktails

we had an outbreak of fur moths

i had 2 types of moth killer OP in a can, both approved for domestic use

either was no problem, one then the next onto a carpet was very unpleasant and seemed to have the symptoms of a light nerve gassing

it took a while to recover from as well

the stuff loose in the world is amazingly varied and found in amazingly varied combinations and conditions, prediction is close to impossible and observation and understanding is very shaky as there are so many variables and possibilities

mal55

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 23 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't one of the reasons many farmers and people who live near arable land die young. The chemicals they spray on the fields may be fairly "safe" alone, but quite often farmers will mix chemicals or spray one afer another and who knows what happens.
Where I grew up 7 people on the side of the street next to the fields where crop spraying was often done by plane or helicopter all died of liver cancer, the earliest in her late 20s, the rest in their 50s and early 60s. The same has happened in a lot of villages round there.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 23 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for a short while i worked in industrial chemistry

umm

another anecdote, the "staff"canteen for the lab and admin folks had about 150 folk in for fish and chip day

we did a quick survey of the herd

most were men, very few over 50, a surprisingly high proportion were bald regardless of age, very few looked "healthy"

two of us decided on a change of career before the last blob of mushy peas was gone

about 70% of all staff were regulars at the surgery for steroid injections for dermatitis and even in my shortish stay quite a few dropped dead in their 40's

that was a well run place that took health and safety more seriously than most at the time

dpack

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 23 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

underreporting does not count

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 23 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked in the microelectronics industry, and in the early 70s, possibly H&S wasn't taken as seriously as perhaps it should have been. Having a lively sense of self preservation I always tried to be aware of the hazards.

We did have one episode of dermatitis and HSE was called in over it as it was reported by a doctor. I was the Safety Officer's friend for life as we had already dealt with the problem by the time the HSE officer arrived. It was caused by epoxy resin and we were cleaning it out of glass syringes using acetone. We immediately went over to disposable plastic syringes and issued Marigold type gloves to all handling it. HSE officer was very impressed.

I am glad to say that we seemed to have a mixture of men and women and even those working on plating and such like seem to have reached a ripe old age and those I know of are still going strong.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 23 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue beck is raw sewage at the mo

if you check the watercourse on earth pro or suchlike etc

open sewer running through suburban york , feeding several waterbased wildlife ponds on the way, etc and feeding into the ouse a mile above the city centre

dpack

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 23 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

legacy

gz

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 23 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not surprised
On the Nantgarw side of Caerffili there are massive housing estates...when I lived there very early 80s that was two large holes in the ground with very questionable multicoloured contents....
I wouldn't be surprised if people who bought there had to sign that they wouldn't grow any food plants in their gardens, like those built on reclaim below Risca in the Ebbw Valley..also on a floodplain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive