Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Cover Crops

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 23 12:44 pm    Post subject: Cover Crops Reply with quote

Similar to last summer, it looks as if this will be another year with an extremely dry summer. So far, for the entire month of May we have had less than 2/10ths of an inch of rain. Everything still looks very green but this won't last.

Day after day dawns clear, clouds over later, but no rain. And nights are cooler than usual.

The seasonal brook on our property is quite low. I'll take a look at the Delaware River when we go into town today for the Memorial Day parade.

Today I came across a very interesting article about the interest in cover crops in Texas: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/may/29/rio-grande-valley-farmers-study-ancient-technique-cover-cropping-climate-crisis

Our daughter and s-i-l live near Houston and they have had ample rain so far this year. But Texas is big enough that local variations are only to be expected.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 23 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting article. The farm where I get my meat has a mixture of pasture and crops, and they are using some 'dry' techniques, such as direct sowing into last years stubble, but the feed for the seed keeps getting broken by stones, so keeps needing repairs. Strangely it was a technique I learnt about in geography at school nearly 60 years ago.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive