Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Wildlife
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 168, 169, 170 ... 190, 191, 192  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 23 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do, and good picture.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 23 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

using the big glass* seems sensible

tis a bit odd using a 100 to 400 up close, but it will AF down to 1.8M which is about the distance to the spa from where i sit to snap them

most of the yard snaps are under 5 M and most of the critters are small

it does seem to work well enough to put up with swinging a 2.76kg lump of technology to hunt a few grams of critter

* glass might be the generic name for the see through bit on the front of a camera, however, most of the lenses in my ones are not glass but some sort of optical quality, human made crystal

techy stuff

which is better at steering assorted wavelengths of light onto the sensor chip(or film if that is what is at the back)

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 23 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting although I would dispute their claim that fluorite; calcium fluoride, is a rare earth material. It may not be a common material, but calcium is certainly not rare earth.

For some reason the rooks were being very noisy yesterday. Couldn't see why, but they were making a lot of noise, but not in an alarm type of way. Got scolded by the wren again when I went down the garden, but strangely not when I was working near the nest, but the next raised bed over.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 23 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not what i intended, but it is rather fun even with a distinct lack of foreground sparrows, flighty wee critters

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 23 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just remembered i have polarising filters while i was admiring a stock dove's scarf

that might be interesting, even if it is disappointing it will be interesting

iirc the shine on doves and moths etc is based on refractions and directions of light

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 23 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had an interesting wildlife evening on Tuesday. We were coming back from a meeting and went across country; rather more than we meant to as the road we needed was closed, so had to take a partly unmade side road. Saw a couple of hares, and I think a couple of rabbits, but they shot into the undergrowth, so only saw part of their rear ends. There was a young roe deer on the unmade road, and as we went straight up to the woods as we were firing 2 kilns yesterday, we saw a young badger going across the track in front of us. Didn't know they moved that fast! Also think I saw a pair of jays yesterday but not sure as they went straight over me so only saw the underside. I have seen jays in that tree though, so they may be nesting there.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 23 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a scampering badger is surprising quick and agile for a plump looking beast with shortish legs

watching them go uphill quickly is very impressive

having a young one steal my bacon butty from beside my "im not here la la la, im under a blanket" saluki and a foot below my hammock was my closest encounter

one that was rather odd, i was being very quiet and rather professionally blending into the landscape in a very dark bit of slopey woodland when i knew i was not alone and whatever it might be was close and it had not noticed me, yet

then there was the sound of someone or something with a sinus issue eating silverskin pickled onions(without the smell)
crunch chew, crunch chew chew etc

i was a little nervous, although it was obviously not what i was hunting which was potentially dangeroos

after ten or fifteen mins, whatever it was finished the snack and ambled away with a slight swoosh of vegetation and some heavy breathing

it never noticed me

next day i eyeballed the scene, dug and eaten bluebell bulbs(i thought they were toxic) and a couple of badger paw prints

it had lunch about 5 feet away from me and did not know i was there

i dont know if that is about badger awareness or how to be invisible

either way it is an excellent noise, if a bit freaky at the time

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 23 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after typing that i popped out to top up the bird feeders

seeds, seeds and sunflower kernels

there was a stirring about 3 feet from where i was sitting

after a few single seed deliveries from 18" reducing to finger end distance, mousey was eating a couple of inches from my hand and acting in a very relaxed way until a pigeon got clumsy trying to land

wow, another hand tame one

i really must read up on, and play with, the video capacity of the camera,
that would have been a nice bit of footage

as it was, it was a really nice critterhuman shared moment

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 23 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B2, mr brack the second as a formal title, stealth for sofa chat, rather likes brandlings

brandlings like my deep bed

2 out of three ain't bad
i do not think brandlings like B2 or the feathery children he was planning to feed with them

this area is a prime blackbird territory, although the extreme heat event made it 100% fatal for one day last summer

Last edited by dpack on Thu Jun 08, 23 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 23 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doors!

my greeting to either of two jackdaws, one seen above, as they used a chimney first time rather than a door

they are a bit more careful than they were as youngsters

the full fat version is rather nice

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 23 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and now he is in the yard , well.
both of them are

maybe they saw B2 with his huge fat worm kill, savage and efficient and in the "bag" surprisingly fast
i await fluffy and loud B2 offspring

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 23 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's better

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 23 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good pictures.

Although I have no reason to believe there was anyone at home, my 'close encounter' with badgers was when I fell down a badger hole in the New Forest. I was camping with the Guides at Foxlease and a few of us had been taken out 'badger watching'. I am not convinced the leader knew what she was doing, so we did the whole trip in total darkness. Sadly, I fell into a badger hole on the way back. Hurt my back a bit, which made sleeping on the ground with only a sleeping bag (kapok in those days) and a ground sheet rather sore.

We have a couple of large sets in the woodland complex and several 'outliers'. They seem to be used mainly in the spring, and our theory is that the males either find the youngsters too much of a pain, or get thrown out by the nursing sows so go to the outlier sets until things settle down at home.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 23 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at least 15 sparrows+squeaks in the bushes
probably one or one and a bit fresh fledges to add to the first fledge and the adults

B2 is living up to his name, the worm techniques are impressive, scrat move on return pounce

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 23 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is also a thrush technique. I remember a poem we had to do for O level about ' thrust and bounce and a ravening second' or similar (it was a very long time ago).

We had an alert from one of our cameras in the 'yard' yesterday evening. When husband and son looked it was a roe deer trotting through. Unusual as they don't usually trigger the camera.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 168, 169, 170 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Page 169 of 192
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive