Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
New tech, old tricks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 24 7:20 am    Post subject: New tech, old tricks Reply with quote

https://hackaday.com/2021/01/17/leds-from-dubai-the-royal-lights-you-cant-buy/

If you thought built in obsolescence with lights had gone away, think again.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 24 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phoebus can shine some light on the subject

a "cheap"electric drill has a design run time of 14 hrs, a "good" electric drill has replaceable parts and a design lifespan that might exceed that of the user and includes years of run time

a good one is far cheaper in both £ and planet

make it once, make it well and make it to be mended

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 24 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things that are made well will go on for a long time, especially if they have replaceable parts. I still have the Hidome pressure cooker we had when we were married over 50 years ago, and it now really needs replacing as some of the rivets from the handle area are making themselves known. My mother replaced hers at a similar age. I have one I got from the tip for £2 I need to unearth and still use the old weights. The old one can be used as a steam generator for steam bending wood or similar. We bought a lounge suite with a frame to last; again my parents one is still going strong in a museum at over 60 year old. It has been recovered once. Trouble is, when things last as long as that, the company can never sell you another, so they have a saturated market, and in some cases (like the makers of our suite) go out of business.

gz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 24 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Hidome....but you can't get the little rubber safety valve that has the metal toggle through the middle..they changed the design

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 24 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have any trouble last time I needed one. It is the safety valve; the little metal bit melts if the thing gets too hot and releases pressure.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive