Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
pig transport

Author 

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 06 4:10 pm    Post subject: pig transport Reply with quote

can you transport a pig in the back of an enclosed[with grill back] pickup that is all metal so you can disinfect afterwards ?or do you have to have a trailer----the defra info about holding no's etc is plain but i can't make head or tail of the vehicle transport info on the [defra] site. hoping someone can help
lottie

Wombat

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 06 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can transport it in that set-up, providing that you can thoroughly clean it out after use.
Wombat

lottie

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 06 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks thats really helpful----we already have our cph number but have to alter our transport when we complete the move to wales---we moved the beehives in the back of the mondeo and prayed nothing hit us!
lottie

mochyn

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 06 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Lottie: where in Wales are you coming to? I'm sort of in the middle.

I've moved pigs in that way: a brace of weaners in the back of a neighbour's truck. Very successful too, with a bale of straw for padding!

lottie

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 06 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we've bought a bungalow about 6 miles south of aberystwyth and a mile from llangwyryfon with !.5 acres----after renting 2 allotments off the council for years it seems a dream come true to us. we can't complete the move and live "the good life" until we sell our present house. kept rabbits and chickens on the plot but not had anything to do with pigs since i had a holiday job on a pigfarm in the dim and distant past. thanks for your info----may not be as complicated as i was worrying about----wish i was in wales now
lotty

Anna-marie

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 06 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lottie,
Good luck with your move - I hope that it all happens very soon for you

If I was certain that no-one was "looking", I might confess to having picked up my goat kids in the back of my estate car

But of course, that couldn't have been me, as I have a trailer

mochyn

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 06 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, Lottie. Wales is wonderful: moving to the Land of my Father was the best thing we ever did. When you get here, do try to join in with your local community: people here said, when we first came, that they didn't think they'd ever see the 'new people' in our house as a lot of incomers don't join in, but we're involved in a lot of local stuff (without trying to take over) and have never been busier!

lottie

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 06 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement----can't wait till i FINALLY sell this house. i've signed up for a welsh course over the net -----if only to improve my hilarious[apparently] attempts at pronouncing welsh place names. thanks again for the info/advice
lottie

Gervase

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 06 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't regret it - a fantastic country with fantastic people. It's the best thing we ever did. And Mochyn's right (ask your teacher what 'mochyn' means...tsk tsk, some people! ), get stuck in. You get out of any community what you put in, and in Wales that applies tenfold. We're constantly being delighted, surprised and touched by how kind and helpful people are, and how tolerant they are of our galumphing gaucheness.

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 06 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gervase wrote:
ask your teacher what 'mochyn' means...tsk tsk, some people! .

I just had to google it, and after much hunting, came to the conclusion that it meant "pig" - is that right Mochyn????

Wombat

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 06 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's right! I too was horrified when Mochyn told me, but bet you cant guess her real name?
I will let Mochyn take it from here!!!
Wombat

Nick

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 06 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOOOH, can I play? I know!

Do we have a smiley with his hand right up straight, so straight the other hand is helping it, and the finger's up too?

Extra points for surname and OH's name???

Pwetty pwease?

mochyn

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 06 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behave, Nick. I know you know, and you know I know you know... I could go on. Yes, it does mean pig: I use the name because of my general love and respect for all things porcine. My first gilr is off to the abattoir tomorrow... Think of me! I'll probably be in pieces. Much as she will in a few days...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive