Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Horseradish

Author 

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 06 2:01 pm    Post subject: Horseradish Reply with quote

Bit of a repeat this one, but still haven't found any horseradish in my local area and even a little further afield. Is it mainly found in the south? Any other clues as to where it likes to grow etc?

Also, I seem to remember someone having a horseradish glut last year and would just like to put in an order early if possible! If there was a chance of some seeds that would be even better- I'd only plant them in a pot, honest!

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 06 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of roots planted curtesy of Cab I wonder how long they will take to spread?

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 06 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine, also from Cab, were heeled into a defunct trough when they arrived ( I evicted some sagging lettuces IIRC), but they now look quite happy there, so I may leave them this year and move them into long toms next year for ease of harvesting.
I do like horseradish I'm a sucker for anything spicy

judith

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 06 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine came from Pilsbury and seems to have gone off like a rocket. If it carries on at the same rate I'll certainly be able to let you have some later in the year when I divide it.

Not much help for now, though.

Mat S

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 06 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bloke on the allotment next to mine has some, it grows from rough old bits of root. I could post some to you if you PM your address to me. Might take a week or two because I don't see him very often.

Naomi

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 06 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some from Pilsbury too and it is going great guns!!!

I planted it in it's own bed with a retaining brick edging in the hope of containing it just there

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 06 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Horseradish Reply with quote

leebu wrote:
Any other clues as to where it likes to grow etc?

It struggles here on a poor soil. It likes a deep, rich, moist soil AFAIK and dies down over winter so it's about now when the leaves re-grow.

Where to look? I'd suggest places that may have been old gardens in the past or old dumping grounds as it often escapes from gardens and can be quite a weed. I tend to spot the large, dark green leaves while driving about and it seems common on grass verges down here.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 06 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

common in west yorks .
i was eating flower buds this weekend and i look forward to the spicey catterpillar snacks quite soon .
ace plant ,very easy (too easy so put it in a container ) to grow .
it also has strong anti bacterial properties (stings a bit ).

Pilsbury

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 06 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leebu, PM me your address and a parcel will be on its way, a lot quicker than I managed last time (sorry about that) and you will have some for your (ahem) pot.

leebu

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 06 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pilsbury wrote:
Leebu, PM me your address and a parcel will be on its way, a lot quicker than I managed last time (sorry about that) and you will have some for your (ahem) pot.

Pilsbury

No problem. I've already had a some promised-thanks anyway though..
And thanks also for the advice. No idea why it can't be found round here as the soil seems fairly good and there's plenty of grass verges/ scrub land. It may be when i actually see it for myself I'll realise I've been missing it all along. Doubt it though as the smell is supposed to be hard to confuse.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive