About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Strimmers
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 06 11:40 am    Post subject: Strimmers Reply with quote

In a fit of panic a couple of weeks ago I got my brother to buy me a petrol strimmer (things just weren't getting done), I've since realised that I could have got a 4 stroke Honda one rather than the 2 stroke Robin that I ended up with (fiddly mixing small amounts of 2stroke)

BUT it appears that I can add hedge trimmer and pruning attachments to it, anyone tried any of these things? Am I better buying a separate hedge trimmer?

The attachments are right at the bottom of this page:

https://www.worldofpower.co.uk/acatalog/Fuji_Robin_Brushcutters.html

Jb

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 06 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked at those in the past but always thought that the alternative attachments either looked too flimsy or too heavy to be usable as an alternative head on a strimmer. I could be wrong but that's the impression I get.

Last edited by Jb on Tue May 23, 06 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

tahir

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 06 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB wrote:
I've looked at those in the past but always thought that the alternative attachments either looked too flimsy or too heavy to usable as an alternative head on a strimmer.

That's my worry too, but a petrol hedgetrimmer is a fair bit of dosh.

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 06 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you eventually replace your strimmer, I'd recommend a 4-stroke Honda with a brushcutter attachment.

I've never rated the sturdiness of smaller strimmers' hedgetrimmer or other attachments much either...

Bernie66

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 06 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryobi do a similar bit of kit which you can purchase attachments for..You choose the grad spec of the original strimmer/brushcutter and then the add on's will perform to the spec of the original

https://www.garden4less.co.uk/brush-cutter-trimmer.asp?partner=gr
Has several and some attachments.

High Green Farm

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 06 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are about to replace the completely crap McCulloch that I bought a few years ago on a very limited budget. Not enough power and have spent more on repairs than it cost.

I'm going for a Stihl unit with a strimmer head but also will get a hedgecutter attachment at some stage. My FIL has one, and thinks it is great.

oddballdave

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 06 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Strimmers Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
I could have got a 4 stroke Honda one rather than the 2 stroke Robin that I ended up with (fiddly mixing small amounts of 2stroke)

I have a one litre plastic bottle from DIY store, has the mix measurements already etched on the side. With a standard 5 litre can of petrol, means that I can make up a litre of mix very easily and since my tank only holds litre and a half it makes the mixing a touch easier.

Dave

pricey

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 06 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use the attachments on site all the time due to us not being allowed to use stepladders etc.. and they work perfectly fine.

tahir

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 06 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Strimmers Reply with quote

oddballdave wrote:
I have a one litre plastic bottle from DIY store, has the mix measurements already etched on the side.

Thats what I need.

tahir

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 06 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pricey wrote:
We use the attachments on site all the time

What make, prolly a bit more commercial than mine?

dpack

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 06 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

power tools are ok but be careful

High Green Farm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 06 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now am the proud owner of a Stihl brushcutter, and very happy with it. So much more powerful than the McCulloch. I have flown through all the areas that I would have struggled with before, and a two year warranty to boot.

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 06 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a hire one in whilst waiting for a spare on mine (lost the spring), it was much more powerful than mine. Should have took my time and looked around before buying

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 06 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
Got a hire one in whilst waiting for a spare on mine (lost the spring), it was much more powerful than mine. Should have took my time and looked around before buying

What kind did you hire ? Can be a good way to try out before committing what can be substantial funds for heavy-duty working gear (and not souped-up kit for gardens).

I have a strong suspicion that my feller has bought me a scythe for my birthday. If so, will report back comparing its performance with the high-spec Honda 4-stroke I usually use.

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 06 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just whatever they sent, I'd never heard of the make before, it was a lot noisier and heavier than mine. Hugely thirsty too.

When you say feller, do you mean as in tree feller?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive