Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Spam e-mail2

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 06 10:02 am    Post subject: Spam e-mail2 Reply with quote

Currently using IE6 on dial up at home (yes i know), and I've been increasingly targetted by spam e-mails. the usual chemical enhancements have now been joined by fantastic business deals and share offers.

If set up junk filters and stopped OE from downloading the files from the server, but I'm getting a huge lag now as it sorts through the hundreds of spam mails on the server before it downloads the one or two important ones.

Any thoughts, is a new e-mail address the only way?

Bernie66

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 06 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you might expect I am clueless, but if you want a gmail account to see whether changing address helps pm me and iwill send you an invite

Forager

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 06 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your ISP not have spam filters you can switch on?

If not you could try some antispam software.

The free version of Mailwasher is good (well it was when I last used it!) and lets you look at the email on the server before it downloads. You have to look at it and delete what you don't want first which could be slow although you can quickly scan a page of emails and mark them for deletion. I think you can set up whitelists to always allow email from certain addresses. (Been a few years since I used it).
https://www.mailwasher.net/

K9 works in your Systray and learns what you class as spam. You set it up to movve what it thinks is spam to a seperate folder so you can check it. Over time it becomes very accurate. Think I had it at 99% accuracy. The downside is, if you get 100s of spams you have to downlaod them all.
https://keir.net/k9.html

I am currently using Spambayes. It works in a simialr way to K9 but allegedly has better filtering and also incorporates itself into Outlook rather than running as a seperate program, so takes less setting up.
https://spambayes.sourceforge.net/

They all take a short time to get used to but once in the swing of it they are fine.

Blue Sky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 06 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Spam e-mail2 Reply with quote

Jonnyboy wrote:
.... the usual chemical enhancements have now been joined by fantastic business deals and share offers .....

You mean you're not getting the "hot_housewives" yet???

Oh dear

I use hotmail for general mail purposes and it seems to catch most of the spam although you still have to wade through it all now and then to make sure it isn't filtering things it shouldn't be. If that makes sense?

Forager

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 06 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing is when you get spam never ever use the unsubscribe option on the email, unless you 100% know the company is reputable. Spammers use the unsubscribe option to confirm your address is active and you will end up with more spam.

dougal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 06 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if your ISP offers a *webmail* access to your mailbox.

That will allow you to delete the things easily without downloading them. Or even downloading, installing and configuring additional software.
*** This is the easy way to do things when you are on dialup! ***

The likely cause of your spam is that that particular email address has been openly posted on a web page somewhere. And put on a list. And that list traded with other spammers.

If there aren't very many folk that have that address, the simplest thing to do may be to set up a new address (or two) and inform your real correspondents.

I said "or two" because it makes sense to have a (fully or) semi-disposable address to put on the inevitable forms that want to send a confirmation email (and might just possibly share your address around).

james_so

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 06 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your sure it's all only spam you could change the 'Do not download from server' to 'Delete from server'. Alternatively, make a rule that sends it to a seperate 'spam' folder, that way you can check it before you delete it manually from OE.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive