Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Going green pays its way?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 04 8:58 am    Post subject: Going green pays its way? Reply with quote

In light of the following article does anyone have any idea of costs of installing solar panels. We would like to install some solar panels but are hopefully not going to be in this house longer than another 7 years and are not sure whether it would be worth it financially. Would the resulting value of our house go up?

Going green pays its way
Millions of pounds in grants are being thrown at homeowners canny enough to cash in on a range of energy-saving schemes, reports Zoe Brennan of The Sunday Times

Everybody enjoys a sunny day but when the sun shines for the Williams family, their electricity meter runs backwards — thanks to government-subsidised solar panels on their roof.

Martyn Williams, 35, had long wanted his home to be as energy-efficient as possible, but his £20,000 salary ruled out grand gestures. Then he applied to the government- funded Energy Saving Trust, which agreed to pay a £10,000 subsidy — half the cost — for installing solar panels on the family’s three-storey Victorian home in Hackney, east London.

Since the roof needed repairs, which would have cost £5,000, it became a win-win project for Williams, an environmental campaigner for Friends of the Earth (FoE), and his wife Sarah, a GP.

“Since we installed the panels in December 2002, they have provided four-fifths of our total electricity needs,” says Williams. “We pay only about £20 a year for our energy — even though with a baby daughter, Ruth, we run the washing machine all the time. When the sun shines, the electricity meter runs backwards and the energy being harnessed by our roof panels goes into the local grid through our provider, Good Energy. This gives us credits against electricity we use in the winter.”

The cash is there for the asking. The government, energy suppliers and local authorities offer aid for small-scale improvements such as cavity-wall insulation, loft insulation, draught-proofing and a more efficient washing machine. The Energy Saving Trust acts as a one-stop shop for grants. “The type and amount of grant you could get depends on where you live,” says Philip Sellwood, head of the trust. “Utility companies are obliged to spend £400m a year helping customers make their homes efficient.”

For solar panels alone — or photovoltaics, as they are known — the government has provided £20m to be spent over three years, giving grants of up to half the cost. Over the past two years, the costs of solar panels have almost halved — meaning the money will stretch even further.

The average household spends about £610 each year on energy, according to FoE, which believes homeowners could easily cut that by a third. Heat loss alone costs the average British homeowner up to £200 a year.

Where to get grants: visit www.saveenergy.co.uk/grants and fill in your postcode for details of all available grants. They include:

Government aid from £500 to £5,000 towards installing renewable energy technologies (www.clear-skies.org)

Half the costs of installing solar panels like the Williams’ (www.est.co.uk/solar)

The Warm Front grant, worth up to £2,500, for people who either lack central heating or whose boiler has broken down, from the Energy Efficiency Advice Centre (0800 512 012).

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 04 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, the terms and conditons look a little daunting, but fairly catch free.

jema

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 04 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into it a couple of years ago and the payback would have been over 10 years. i don't think you can look at it in purelt monetray terms

bernie-woman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 04 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tahir wrote:
I looked into it a couple of years ago and the payback would have been over 10 years. i don't think you can look at it in purelt monetray terms

I agree but we are very interested in this but have the dilemma whether we should wait until we find the house with some land etc... (you know the ususal dream) or whether to take the plunge. we are not prepared to spend approx £20000 to find that it would not be an asset to the overall value of the house in some way - obviously te majority of people on this forum would see it as a positive thing in a home but not sure that everyone would see it as that. the dilemma is do we spend the money now or wait

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 04 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a question of whether you can afford it I suppose, the panels are going to keep on doing their thing for years to come so you'll definitely be making a contribution and I'd imagine that they'll add some value to the property

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 04 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The energy bills for your house will be one aspect of the 'sellers pack', when these become compulsory (in 2007, I believe), so I think people will probably start to value these things more highly quite soon.

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 04 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know about that, what's the sellers pack then?

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 04 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically the vendor will have to provide an information pack when they put their house on the market. I'm not sure exactly what it will include, but I know that energy bills are going to be part of it, as will be proof of planning permission for any building work.

bernie-woman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 04 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sellers pack is a pack that you put together before you put your house on the market with surveys, land searches etc... which the current governemnt are in favour of because they think it will spped up house sales and will also ensure that those people who put their house on the market are serious about selling i.e will not take their house of the market at a drop of a hat. As I understand it the tories are against it - not sure why

here is a link https://www.sellerspack.com/

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 04 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting I'll have a look later

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 04 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting bit about the sellers packs from today's Independent:
Overview: Sellers' packs could prove very useful ... for ministers
By Penny Jackson
10 November 2004
Cast your minds back a few years to the time when sellers' packs were called just that and the main purpose was to speed up property sales and knock gazumping on the head.

Pilot schemes came and went and the debate has carried on with opinion fiercely divided about whether the home information pack (HIP), as it is now called, would indeed improve the buying and selling process.

The case has still not been made convincingly, as the House of Lords demonstrated last week when it voted for the packs to be voluntary not mandatory as the Government wants. Indeed, it regards the HIP as a key element of its Housing Bill.

It does, though, beg the question as to why the Government should be so insistent on introducing such a controversial scheme.

It cites the £350m wasted each year on aborted transactions as a pressing reason for reform and the public might well wonder why anyone would wish to oppose a measure designed to oil the wheels of house purchase. But is it just the public interest the Government has at heart?

In 2007, the date pencilled in to start the scheme, all homes on the market will need an energy efficiency report in order to comply with an EU directive.

The director of the Association for the Conservation of Energy pointed this out after this column had made a case for voluntary HIPs.

Whatever happens to this part of the Housing Bill, he said, "there will still be a requirement for a full survey of all the energy-use particulars of each home under the Energy Performance of Buildings Directive".

Could it be, then, that by insisting on a home condition report, this element could be provided at a lower cost if it were part of a number of checks to be paid for by the homeowner? If, indeed, this is a motive, then discussing it publicly would be a more honest approach than masquerading under the banner of public interest.

Likewise, a spin-off from the home condition reports, which form a major part of HIPs, would be a database on the state of the nation's homes - undoubtedly extremely useful, but not an aim of the HIP as far as the public is concerned.

Looking at who stands to gain most - financially and politically - from the pack would be a useful exercise. One thing is for sure, the idea that it is all about gazumping should have been ditched long ago.

Cheers, Sean

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 04 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a good idea for housebuying, but I would also like to see one type of survey, done at the begining of the sale which is used for any buyer, or mortgage company, maybe from an officially recognised body, to save keep having to stress out when a second or third buyer is found and time is moving on on the purchase.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive