links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Most successful forage ever?

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 06 9:57 pm    Post subject: Most successful forage ever? Reply with quote

Not by me sadly. One of Mandy's colleagues found a lobster pot so went and set it by walking out at spring tide the other week. Went back the next day and had three lobsters and a conger. Bastard.

Fee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 06 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe...cool.

I found out when we were up in Anglesey the other weekend that OHs folks have a few lobster pots and all sorts of other stuff, so we're going to have a week holiday up with them in the summer and see if we can catch us some prawns and lobster (aparently you have to know the right spots, and they do ...oh, and they have a new little boat, so we can get to places you can't easily get to by land

Another very cool thing is that I was telling them about the various wines I have planned and about my rhubarb wine, and it turns out they have a stack of homebrew wine gumph, including several demi-johns, a load of corks and bungs and even some plum juice fro their own trees that's been in sealed vats for years All in their loft!

Said we're welcome to it, but I forgot to ask again before we left (was a bit sidetracked, it was my sister-in-law's wedding afterall).

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 06 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd often wondered if you would catch anything (other than a clip round the ear from the local fishermen) by setting a pot at low tide. You can make your own pots Sean.

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 06 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Most successful forage ever? Reply with quote

sean wrote:
Not by me sadly. One of Mandy's colleagues found a lobster pot so went and set it by walking out at spring tide the other week. Went back the next day and had three lobsters and a conger. Bastard.

I echo your sentiments! Took me a year to catch that many lobsters.

TD, the low tide method usually produces smaller brown crab, green shore crab and velvet swimming crabs. All of which are delicious. You just have more winkling to do when you extract the meat.

cab

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 06 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Most successful forage ever? Reply with quote

Jonnyboy wrote:

TD, the low tide method usually produces smaller brown crab, green shore crab and velvet swimming crabs. All of which are delicious. You just have more winkling to do when you extract the meat.

Or cook them whole for crab sauce.

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 06 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you could also make a really nice bisque using the smaller crabs whole and the larger ones to add flaked meat.

Bodger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 06 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where I live there is a large series of rocks that go out to sea .On a really low tide you can go armed with a metal rod that has been bent at the end with a hook and actually catch large edible crabs and the occasional lobster .
One or two locals have worked the system for a long time and waste no effort in going to their favourite holes for their catch . Us simple mortals have to spend hours bending over with the sun beating down on our heads but I've had some good catches in the past and some horrific sunburn and headaches !

JPBearclaw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 06 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We run a survival course on a deserted island off of Islay scotland part of this course is to repair the lobster pots and set them to catch a feed, we were catching swimmers,shore and edible crabs we were dispatching them and cooking them on rocks next to the camp fire,real tasty cooked this way simple and tasty, me n gary also made a resotto fom them with some forraged spring greens and silver weed roots. Limpets are nice too just cooked on a rock next to the fire any one tried those?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive