Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Taming half acre

Author 

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 06 9:34 pm    Post subject: Taming half acre Reply with quote

We have about half an acre of old pasture land which is basically grass and docks. Very rough and full of holes. We would like to get it to a state where we could rotavate and seed it, making smooth lawn as such, with the intention then of planting fruit trees bit by bit or taking over parts for veggie garden etc. But in meantime could be cut with mower and we would not need to ask friendly neighbour with tractor to top it twice a summer and risk losing kids in it in meantime. So basically want to clear it. Were thinking of flame-gun or roundup - would prefer not to use roundup but does the flame gun work? Or any other options?

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 06 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The usual Downsizer reply is "get some pigs", any chance of that or letting someone else raise a few for a year or so?

tahir

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 06 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trees don't like grass, veg beds don't like grass. Grass is a weed to both.

I'd say the best course of action would be to plough up the whole lot, possibly (based on the type of soil) removing the existing turf first (to compost) rotovate and then plant with a green manure. Keep the green manure cycle going until you know what you're going to plant and where. Use grass only as a last resort.

tahir

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 06 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may gather from my last post that I'm a bit anti grass, if you came and saw what it was doing to my veg plot you'd understand.

monsieurpoule

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 06 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get pigs. Pigs will turn over the ground a treat and eat everything whilst at the same time. Then eat pigs.

PS I want pigs but OH says no. Says I can have bees but I don't want bees. I want PIGS, PIGS, PIGS

(nurse, can I have my medecine please. Nurse, nurse........)

oddballdave

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 06 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Taming half acre Reply with quote

aisling wrote:
Or any other options?

Strip off the turf, stack it in the corner grass to grass, in about 12 months it will have rotted down to a good loam.

The stripping will reveal the deep seated roots of the dock, either burrn it, chop it repeat indefinitely.
Or a splash or roundup on the very small leaves when it starts growing back.

Keep hoeing the rest of the ground to prevent weeds, plant a tough grass mix and watch your new lawn grow.

Advantages - you get a lot of good topsoil to make your vegetable beds with.
- The lawn will be flat (because you will be able to flatten it)
- you can get rid of all the deep rooted weeds.

Disadvantages - lot of hard work.

HTH

Dave

aisling

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 06 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a million for the responses. New baby in the house so only getting back here now - sorry. Pigs idea interesting but we don't eat meat so would have to have them as pets and frankly have enough dependents of human and animal kind at the minute. Stripping and green manure ideas have been passed on to "he who would actually be doing the work" for further consideration. Thanks again - off to bed now while babs asleep.

Cathryn

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 06 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always rent the land ouot to pig owners - watch them do the work and get paid as well. The words new baby kind of swung it for me - many congratulations and commiserations for the sleep deprivation you must be currently undergoing.

vickersdc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 06 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, one option may be to plant the area with trees - just make sure that you maintain a clear area around each tree of at least 1m diameter. As the trees grow, they should shade out the weeds and eventually reduce this growth.

Cheers,
David.

Nick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 06 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you? Pigs could be loaned...you'd actually only need them for a couple of weeks.

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 06 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least top the docks by hand (sickle, secateurs, machete, whatever) before they seed (like about now, probably).
Get it mown, get stock on to graze it (a few tups, perhaps)
Did you decide what to do in the end ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive