Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Field Mushrooms... Whiteout!

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 06 2:53 pm    Post subject: Field Mushrooms... Whiteout! Reply with quote

Went for a wander around the woods this morning. Saw very little, a young polypore that might grow up to be something exciting, and two agaricus mushrooms (the prince). And nowt else much that we wanted to pick.

Then we went to a field on the way home, one we often visit and that usually has the odd agaricus during the season and some fairy ring marasmius. But today... I've never see such a flush of field mushrooms, everywhere we looked there were more.

The drier is going, we had mushrooms on pizza for lunch (put the bread machine on to make dough before going out shrooming), going to cook some down for duxelle to freeze. We took our fill, could have had many more, but its early in the season and we didn't want to be greedy.

If it continues like this it'll be a mushrooming year to remember!

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 06 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hope so

Mat S

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 06 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a horse field today that had hundreds of field 'shrooms. Couldn't find anybody to get permission to pick them from but gathered a load from the unfenced area. Yummy!

Maxwell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 06 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked out some local woods this morning but didn't find much of interest apart from one slug munched cep and a single tawny grisette.

Got chatting to a nice couple though who informed me of a field near where they live that is bursting at the seams with Agaricus. Sure enough, the place was covered with rings of field mushrooms!

Apparently none of the locals bother picking them, they're all too scared! All the more for me lol

Cooked some with a fry up and have a load still in the fridge as I'm expecting my dehydrator to arrive tomorrow.

Care to share your duxelle recipe cab?

cab

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 06 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxwell wrote:

Care to share your duxelle recipe cab?

Sure, its in the bottom of this article, under freezing

https://www.downsizer.net/Projects/Finding_Food/Preserving_Mushrooms_-_or%2C_what_to_do_with_a_really_big_haul/

nettie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 06 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see a whiteout - apparently a few years ago, after some rain following a drought, my friend's horse field was more mushrooms than grass. Quite an eerie sight I should think.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive