Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Starting Fly Fishing..

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 06 8:38 pm    Post subject: Starting Fly Fishing.. Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend any advice on getting starting with fky fishing? Basic equipment, rough cost, what licenses are required, season etc. Anything would be useful as I know nothing at the moment but mr. hedgewitch and I would like a go

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 06 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

use worms

Bodger

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 06 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HW
I've had a go at most things and fly fishing is one of them. I've caught a few fish on the fly but its not something that I've persevered with. Here are the steps that I would suggest that you and Mr H take.

1. Off to the public library. There will be a number of books on the subject there. Maybe even be videos

2. Off to the local tackle shop that hopefully is well into fly fishing. Find out what local trout waters there are. It may be lake or stream and this will effect what sort of tackle that you buy. While you are there speak to the shop keeper about tackle and prices but don't purchase yet. Just pick their brains.

3. Possibly through the info from the man in the tackle shop has given you go to your nearest commercial trout fishery and see if there is anyone there who will give you and hubby some fly fishing lessons . This is the only way to get some idea of how to cast a fly. If you havent got a friend to show you how, then you will have to pay out at this stage. Havent got a clue how much it will cost you but it's essential.

4. Ask the nice man what sort of tackle he recomends for the job but don,t lash out huge amounts of money. There are lots of folk out there like me who have packed in. You can pick up tackle through E bay,car boots and the adds in newspapers.

5. To fish for trout you need a rod licence which you get from the post office. I'm looking at it now and it cost me 20 something quid.
It covers me to fish for course fish,eels and trout.
If I was to want a licence to fish for salmon, it would cost me a hell of a lot more
Even armed with your rod licence , this does not enable you to fish just anywhere. You now need to get the permission of the owner of the fishing rights of the particular waters you fancy a go at.
You do this by fluttering your eye lashes at a friendly farmer or in my case as this strategy failed and you pay 10 or 15 pounds per day at a commercial fishery.
I hope this helps. Good luck !
Bodge

Snap Cap

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 06 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not give J.R. Hartley a ring

Gervase

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 06 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodger's right - find someone to coach you. I know it's a pain, and the casting technique is something you canlearn from books, but it's far better to have someone who is competent to take you through the basics.

Make inquiries at your local angling shop - they should have contacts for fisheries (stillwater and river) in your area, and each of these will have a secretary who should be able to point you in the right direction.

The equipment you need depends on the sort of fishing you want to do. If you're going to be fishing small brooks and streams for wild brown trout you want some very light tackle - a six or seven-foot rod, light line and tiny flies. If you're fishing stillwaters for rainbows, then a 10-footer and heavier line and gaudier lures may be needed.

None of it needs to cost the earth, however. Although fly-fishing tackle can cost astronomical amounts, you can catch fish with the cheapest stuff (I've several of rods, and for some applications I prefer a £30 Game Fair bargain to a £300 Hardy that's virtually the same length).

Although it's largely aimed at those who already do it, have a look at https://www.fishandfly.co.uk/.

hedgewitch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 06 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help - that's great stuff and should get us on the right track.
Cost was our main concern -- we feared it would cost a fortune and I was partly thinking it might be a question of costing it out now and then working towards being able to afford the basics, but it sounds like we could get started sooner than I thought

Out with the hounds this morning I spotted a sign for a local angling club, so will contact them. There is a tackle shop in the next town and we should be visiting sometime this week or next, so I'll stop off there when we do.

Hopefully I'll post soon on all the ones that got away

Colin & Jan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 06 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iv'e trout fished for some years, mostly in reserviors but occasionaly in rivers. The most important thing for a beginner to do is get a rod and line that matches. Trout lines are given a weight (you need a thicker line than standard monofilament to be able to cast) and so are rods. If you don't get them to match, then the results for a beginner can be depressing.

Many of the reseviours do beginners courses at a very reasonable price and they will supply the equipment for the course.

Regards
Colin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive