Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
mushrooms in the loo?

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 05 6:03 pm    Post subject: mushrooms in the loo? Reply with quote

Has anyone grown mushrooms? I've got slime cap and shitake spawn for christmas, and am completely at sea with them. I've heard you can grow them on loo rolls, and I know you can grow them on logs. Any tips anyone!?

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 05 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've not grown them .... yet! But if you don't get any joy there is a recent article in the 'Kitchen Garden' magazine. PM me if you need any specific info as I think we also have another article I could dig up.

cab

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 05 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: mushrooms in the loo? Reply with quote

wellington womble wrote:
Has anyone grown mushrooms? I've got slime cap and shitake spawn for christmas, and am completely at sea with them. I've heard you can grow them on loo rolls, and I know you can grow them on logs. Any tips anyone!?

Look at mycologue (you'll find them in the links section or via google) and future foods web sites. They ought to have some guidance.

Loo roll culture is something to do with oyster mushroom (Pleurotus ostreatus) spawn; I don't know whether you'd get that to work with the strains you have.

Shiitake usually grows on wood; oak is, I believe, a good substrate. Slime pholiota is grown commercially on sawdust and wood chippings, so presumably that'll grow on wood too.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 05 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found the instructions now - they are very long, but I think there are several methods of growing them - it doesn't mention loo roll anywhere! They talk about straw or sawdust in bin bags, and also about mushroom logs. I fancy mushroom logs. There is a nice border just opposite my veg patch which is north facing and not suitable for veg - I think a few mushroom logs would fill it up nicely. I might buy some oyster mushrooms too. From what I can gather if you do them on logs they take longer to get going, but last a bit longer.

Can you really it something called a slimecap? It sounds horrible - perhaps they'll be ready in time for a halloween feast!

cab

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 05 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wellington womble wrote:
I've found the instructions now - they are very long, but I think there are several methods of growing them - it doesn't mention loo roll anywhere! They talk about straw or sawdust in bin bags, and also about mushroom logs. I fancy mushroom logs. There is a nice border just opposite my veg patch which is north facing and not suitable for veg - I think a few mushroom logs would fill it up nicely. I might buy some oyster mushrooms too. From what I can gather if you do them on logs they take longer to get going, but last a bit longer.

Can you really it something called a slimecap? It sounds horrible - perhaps they'll be ready in time for a halloween feast!

On logs, you can harvest oyster mushrooms for years!

If the slime cap is the mushroom I think you mean, it's perfectly edible, and a bit less slimy when mature than when young.

Lloyd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 05 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a mushroom grow box but a month later nothing is happening despite following the instructions carefully. Should I wait longer, or chuck th emushroom compost in a shady spot and wait and see?

cab

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 05 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madman wrote:
I bought a mushroom grow box but a month later nothing is happening despite following the instructions carefully. Should I wait longer, or chuck th emushroom compost in a shady spot and wait and see?

If the instructions say you ought to see something by now, odds are something has gone wrong. If the spawn has been stored badly, sometimes it dies off. I'd be tempted to take it back to the shop soon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive