About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Home Hair Dressing
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both men in my house have short hair; we invested in one of the shaver gadgets some years ago, and it's been worth its weight in gold. OH does his, and one of us does our son's. I cut my own hair once a year in spring, quite short for the summer, then let it grow over autumn and winter. I cut my daughter's hair as well. It's a matter of patience and practice.

For dyeing, I use henna; buy it by the ounces in health food shops - brown, red, black, blonde. Henna is easily grown from seed if you want to grow your own, but as far as I am aware there is only the red colour available. When it's mixed up with water to a paste, just be warned it smells like camel dung, and will stain everyhting it comes into contact with.
I'm growing my own this year - Suffolk Herbs have the seeds.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often thought would it be possible to get a pair of the barbers clippers to do a simple short back and sides. It's just the top bit that would trouble Bugs. I've suggested an No. 1 all over but she's not keen. It would take less washing and save on barbers bills.

Perhaps not while I'm at work but when we I do give up I'll have to give it a go.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a shaver for years, got a new one off ebay last year that makes it a lot quicker.

For a skin'ead cut nothing could be easier

jema

Bugs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would look like a footballer.

Or a football.

I'd be happy to give the top a go, but as you say, when you aren't working, and probably after the next round of weddings and christenings

Bugs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above is obviously aimed at TD, not you, Jema!

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
just be warned it smells like camel dung

How do you know? I don't think it smells bad, only orangey/red tones though.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
The above is obviously aimed at TD, not you, Jema!

jema

Cashew

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mother used to trim my father's hair. He's been bald on top as long as I can remember, so it wasn't a major hairdressing feat. However, she did carry on as his hairdresser for quite a while after she was officially partially sighted

Oh, and she carried on cycling after she lost her periferal vision But the streets are safe these days, the bycycle hasn't been used for yrs

I cut my own fringe, but do visit the hairdresser about 4 times a yr.

culpepper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do mine with 2 mirrors (the extending kind) and scissors.Then Ive got some jigs I made out of cardboard which helps me get the layers using clippers and an afro comb. Havent got layers at the moment though as its cold.
I used to do my OH and son's hair with the clippers.It gives a lovely tidy finish.Recently they've been going to the barber though.
My mum did everyones when I was young. My brother who is very nervous has never been to the Barber though he is in his 40's, he just does his own (his hair is like Max Wall's, long round sides and nothing on top) .
My dad used to stand behind him and ask him if it hurt and when he asked what, would say,'your hair,cause Im treading on it'!

Gertie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to be cajoled to go to the hairdresser - basically because I've got better things to do with my time. Last time Lundy talked me going into the hairdresser's at the end of our street.

Jokingly said I'd have a fringe to cover the frown lines and wrinkles, just so happened that the other two women there had both had botox injections.

Looking at them it was an easy decision to make not to have it done.

Hairdresser looked at my middle parting and said that it was only suitable for girls under the age of 14 - oh well, nothing like being told!!!!

Ended up with hair 8 inches shorter, side parting and a fringe. The tousled look!

When I got home Lundy said it was the best haircut I'd ever had

Anyway, I'm due a trim - will have to pluck up the courage to go.

culpepper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH paid for me to have mine cut at a posh salon about 5 years ago.
When I got home my kids said, it looks the same as usual
Partly I dont like being patronised by the youngsters at hair dressing salons especially if they are doing the cutting.
One left some revolting strandy bits at the back saying it was the fashion.She was quite put out when I said 'well it just looks stupid cut them off please'.
Maybe Im becoming a battleaxe

wellington womble

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really be bothered. My hair is so long that anyone (except me cos I can't reach) could do it with a pair of scissors and ruler. Himself refuses to though, and loves going to barbers (locally known as 'tarts' as all the girls wear short black skirts, white shirts and waistcoats - looks smart, but obviously aimed at the boys. All the kids love it too cos it has a parrot!) so I couldn't deprive him. I get mine cut when I go on holiday, and christmas if we have enough holiday before. Much better things to do with the average saturday!

I lke bugs' local - called curl up and dye!

I love the smell of henna, but its a bit orange. the body shop do a darker red one. It looks great if you put it on your fingernails - lovely orange colour, looks like tequila sunrise as it grows out (its permenant!)

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut everyones hair here, except my mums. She had alopecia a few years ago and really needed a good cut to hide the bald patches before they grew back.

The eldest and OH are done with the clippers. Different numbers and lenghths on both, but basically using a8, 4, 2 and 1 comb on each.

DD has long hair and gets a trim once a year, just to neaten it all up.

Youngest son has curley hair like me, so his is done with scissors and comb.

Dad has scissors, as his is now so fine.

My FIL saves his haircuts up for a visit here, as it doesn't cost him anything then. (He waited until I had been doing it about 2 years before he asked me though!)

I have mine done by a mum at school, and she also does the highlights too. Usually it is worn in a scrunched up top knot though as it is thick and curley and often gets in the way!!

I taught myself how to do all of them as my eldest hates the noise in the barbers and they couldn't give a good cut with him going hysterical, so I thought I would have a go myself.

I got the clippers from Argos and haven't looked back with them.

Lloyd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my clippers from Argos about ten years ago. In the summer I give myself a grade one, and also Billy, my bearded collie gets a slightly longer clip too. It's also great for unwanted body hair. Ten years and still going strong.

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 05 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wellington womble wrote:
I can't really be bothered. My hair is so long that anyone (except me cos I can't reach) could do it with a pair of scissors and ruler.

Mine use to be like that, i could sit on it and I miss it , but as I got to the end of my thirties I just started to feel it wasn't doing anything for me and didn't go with the aging face ( if that makes sense) so its gradually got shorter and shorter. Its all layered and I couldn't begin to do it myself which does bug me. But I do go to the local hairdresser in the next village so I suppose I'm doing some good in supporting a local small business. There is a temptation to grow it again but I'd have to tie it up for gardening and that really doesn't suit me anymore!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive