Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Squirrel Control
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 06 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are supposed to be quite good eating. I've always wanted to try (grey) squirrel.

We still have reds here.
The council put up warning roadsigns : 'red squirrels'. As though the squirrels were dangerous, and not the cars.

Bodger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 06 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen red squirrels in the Lake District recently but prior to that I remember as a kid seeing them in a park virtually in the centre of Exeter more than 40 years ago.

chez

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 06 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know they're vermin - but I still hate the idea of warfrin; it's not quick. I am hoping that our cats will save us the trouble of having to deal with them ourselves ...

MrsWW

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 06 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got a fantastic squirrel management system.

Let me introduce you - it's tri-colour, 2 years old and is in the form of a Border Collie! She's fantastic - you just have to say the "s" word and she's off round the garden to hunt any who are silly enough to be on the ground on her plot! She will even sit and stare heavenwards when the "s's" are having a family argument in the trees!

Seriously though - did have awful problems with them before as my cats just weren't interested. Thought about poison but didn't want birds/squirrel carcase feeders to suffer so just left them be. They were an awful menace and I was about to give up growing veggies as they were destroying so much. Not that I grow a lot - just to feed us and a few extras. Having said that - made it that much noticeable what they did damage!

Bodger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 06 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a very brave cat that will tackle a squirrel !
Where we use to live before, we had a pack of lurchers that became very adept at catching them on the ground before they could make it into the trees.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 06 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greys are ace bbq or in stew or pie
better than rabbit
bad for young trees
quality food and the pelts have uses (i must get a pumice stone to make sq ' vellum )
pretty critters ,clever too ,agile ,wary of the new thing .
a branch leaning against a tree trunk is an easy way to start upwards .add several short snares a couple of inches above the runway .
in the right place this is well productive
poison is queen but trapping n snares should not involve other critters
shooting can be very selective
best of luck thinning them out
owl n hawk boxes might help rspb for details

whitelegg1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 06 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Squirrel Control Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
Just read an article in the Smallwoods association about a lethal trap for squirrels, looks really good, it's called a Kania trap and is available from:

www.killgerm.com

Searched on there and couldn't find it.

Are the squirrels very visable?

And do you have alot of them?

(I know you've posted in the past, but it's early!!!)

I'm sure as others have already offered, there would be many willing to come and help with some instant squirrel control!

My personal viewpoint....I don't shoot squirrels normally, because I tend to see just one, which doesn't make much of a meal....but if someone could provide half a dozen or more at a time, then I could do something with them. This would fit in to my only shoot what ou eat policy.

Just my thoughts

Pete

tahir

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 06 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete

I'm very gun averse, I've known a few shooting types who I'd say are more rambo than sustainable hunter, it'd take a lot for me to let someone with guns onto my land. This appears to be a pretty instant and non messy way of dealing with the squirrels, one day I'll find a ferret man round here.

Not saying it'd never happen but they'd have to be someone I knew really well or come on the recommendation of someone I knew.

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 06 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever though about buying an air rifle?

tahir

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 06 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonnyboy wrote:

Yeah, haven't got enough time to learn to shoot straight at the mo. If I ever get the time I'd like to learn to shoot.

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 06 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
Jonnyboy wrote:

Yeah, haven't got enough time to learn to shoot straight at the mo. If I ever get the time I'd like to learn to shoot.

Air rifle shooting is easier than you think, as long as the sights are zeroed in properly. The trick is to get close enough and the buggers keep still enough for a shot.

tahir

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 06 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well once I get some time I'll ask for advice.

whitelegg1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 06 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
Pete

I'm very gun averse, I've known a few shooting types who I'd say are more rambo than sustainable hunter, it'd take a lot for me to let someone with guns onto my land. This appears to be a pretty instant and non messy way of dealing with the squirrels, one day I'll find a ferret man round here.

Not saying it'd never happen but they'd have to be someone I knew really well or come on the recommendation of someone I knew.

Fair enough.

Who do you know.

Seriously though, I appreciate your concerns, and it's your land, so you are ultimately responsible for what goes on on it.

If you want some help, you know where to find me.

(You could always come to Pricey's next Bunny bash and meet me and some like minded Downsizers)

Pete

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 06 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitelegg1 wrote:
You could always come to Pricey's next Bunny bash and meet me and some like minded Downsizers

If I had the time I'd love to, but too much on already.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 06 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i get time i'll do a drawing of snares for greys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive