Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
chicken houses

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 05 5:44 pm    Post subject: chicken houses Reply with quote

I just thought i would pose a question to you all??

chicken houses I have made all mine sofar and my arces nusry pens and sutch like due to the fact that i couldnt find any thing sutable for my needs at the right price as well

I have noticed a lot of talk about simler isuess on the forum and was wondering if there was any companys who will make to order or from your own plans and if not is there much intrest in such a enterprize?

if there is the interest then mabe i could use it as farm diversifcation

any replys wellcome

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 05 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea John, if you've got the skills. I reckon you'd have to knock up a prototype first though

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 05 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be worth having a look through something like Country Smallholding first as there are a large number of people making all sorts of housing.

I was laughing at an advert today as it had the headline "Paying too much for Chicken Houses" only £119 for a 12 bird house.

(It amused me as there's not many adverts in the daily press like it).

Paddington Bear

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 05 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we first started keeping hens a few years ago we looked at what was available ready made, these seemed very small for the number of hens the manufacturer claimed, also to clean out the henhouse it helped if you were only 18 inches high (like Paddington Bear).
We finally bought a garden shed and converted it into a henhouse with nest boxes, perches, windows, wheels etc .
As we wanted to be able to move it around the garden we asked the shed people how heavy the shed was as we wanted to move it every few months and they promptly sent someone off to weigh the shed saying they had never been asked that before!

Rob R

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 05 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
I think it would be worth having a look through something like Country Smallholding first as there are a large number of people making all sorts of housing.

I was laughing at an advert today as it had the headline "Paying too much for Chicken Houses" only £119 for a 12 bird house.

(It amused me as there's not many adverts in the daily press like it).

That works out at just under £10 per bird, as a comparison, the cost of housing & equipment for a commercial free range unit (4500 birds) would come to £18 per bird.

The same costs spread over fewer birds (3000) as in an organic unit, would come to £27 per bird.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 05 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what the house would be like, it may be flat packed, I was just giving an example of what someone may compete with.

I would suggest to people to have a look at some ready made houses, preferably in use, and then make your own if you can.

Blue Sky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 05 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: chicken houses Reply with quote

organic john wrote:
I just thought i would pose a question to you all??

chicken houses I have made all mine sofar and my arces nusry pens and sutch like due to the fact that i couldnt find any thing sutable for my needs at the right price as well

I have noticed a lot of talk about simler isuess on the forum and was wondering if there was any companys who will make to order or from your own plans and if not is there much intrest in such a enterprize?

if there is the interest then mabe i could use it as farm diversifcation

any replys wellcome

Way to go! Organic John - You type just like me!

You must have been on the homebrew too? Sorry, I am not taking the Mick' but it is just nice to see that I am not the only chap on here with more typos than right'os!

I too make my own chicken nest boxes and as far as I am concerned there is nothing like 'em - well at least ya can make 'em to fit yer own chicken sheds and at the height you want 'em

Keep up the good work and don't let go of a penny that ya don't need to - that's what we say!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive