Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Touhc wood - Site now should be faster and more reliable
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 7:58 am    Post subject: Touhc wood - Site now should be faster and more reliable Reply with quote

Many people, all our regulars I'm sure will have had an increasingly frustrating time accessing the site

This has been due to one of those unfortunate series of events.

A badly repaired power supply to our server. This is not the direct responsibility of f5hosting.com who host us, but of the datacenter in which our server resides. Suggestsions about the server being in Mikes bedroom have always been strongly deniend.

At the same time as this an unfortunate coincidence occurred, we installed a statistics package that we have just found out, can overload servers, and f5hosting installed a new software version with a similar problem.

When we reported problems f5hosting were eager unfortunately to take the blame

In the last few weeks, as our site in particular has grown, the problem which has been causing an issue on all of f5hostings servers, turned our particular server into a "disaster". This forced f5hosting to realise that they were not perhaps responsible for the issue and they identified our site as rogue, and were forced to briefly suspend us yesterday evening, to allow other sites to run.

They did reinstate us after a few minutes, and as ever we rapidly cooperated in finding the real source of the problem, and had the problem hopefully resolved in another 30 mins or so

f5hosting continued to monitor things for another hour or so, and were happy that the problem did seem to be fully sorted.

So whilst I'd rather not be over confident on this one, preferring to see how we get on for the next few days, and there is still the concurrent "load spike" issue, that is in the hands of f5hosting, we can hopefully now run a faster and more reliable site.

I'd like to thank everyone for their tolerance with the site in the last few weeks.

jema

Last edited by jema on Tue Feb 08, 05 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hope that's sorted it. (I still think the servers are in his mum's spare bedroom).

judyofthewoods

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which statpackage did you use, the one that over burdened the server? Had a quick look at your source, but assume the info is in the style sheet (not got around to learning style sheets yet). I use statcounter.com. Should I refrain?

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

judyofthewoods wrote:
Which statpackage did you use, the one that over burdened the server? Had a quick look at your source, but assume the info is in the style sheet (not got around to learning style sheets yet). I use statcounter.com. Should I refrain?

It was TFS for Mambo, which gave us some quite detailed insight into what was being visited and form what search engine.

I think the problem was that it was so comprehensive it did a lot of database stuff, and that caused the problem.

Most site stats packages, collect raw data and run once a day to collate the raw data into the displayed stats data.

jema

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Performance today is IMHO a lot better, but still is far from 100%, I was just expereince problems and the server load is showing up overloaded.

jema

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having all sorts of problems tonight using the site for the last half hour.

N.V.M.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

being home sick today, i've been in and out of the site all morning quite a bit,sorta. by sorta i mean i could'nt even access the site about 45 minutes ago or so,and it has been slow at times too. now, having said that, i've visited at least 20 times or so in the last 4 hours all told, and 80-90% of the visits were normal.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
I've been having all sorts of problems tonight using the site for the last half hour.

it has cleared now, but was bad over that time frame.

jema

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still been randomly slow/quick for me. And 'odd' when posting, though I appreciate that's not a server issue.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
Still been randomly slow/quick for me. And 'odd' when posting, though I appreciate that's not a server issue.

Seems to be in and out, have heard nothing more form our hosts, and there still is the problem with php, so who knows?

All I continue to note, is that the problems are noticably less.

jema

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely better than it was. But hey, I need something to moan about.

Lloyd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up and down here!...snigger!....Sometimes really fast load and page change, but during peak traffic times it is SLOW....often so slow it times out and you get a "Cannot display page" message. Then the next time its good again. Wingeing pom, me, hehe

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madman wrote:
Up and down here!...snigger!....Sometimes really fast load and page change, but during peak traffic times it is SLOW....often so slow it times out and you get a "Cannot display page" message. Then the next time its good again. Wingeing pom, me, hehe

The one thing that is certain, is that it will not stay this way, php will get sorted or we will pay whatever it takes.

jema

Lloyd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the right answer!

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 05 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems even smoother today I think I spotted a potential issue last night that I dealt with

jema

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive