About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Hen Housing - Advice Please!
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 05 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this mega good idea for a chicken house! Well, it is a bit cheating really b'cos it consists of a chicken house, but hey. I started on this scheme when I was reminded of those £119 'paying too much for your chicken houses' houses for 12 hens when they were mentioned on another thread in this forum. I know that they look a bit basic in the picture but I think with a few improvements it could be pretty good (you'll probably know what I mean if you are an avid Practical Poultry/other chicken mag reader like me, who goes over each and every page with a magnifying glass lookin for a deal (ever since splashing out my entire building society fund on a Forsham ark which I have regretted ever since )
I was thinking of giving it some more substantial legs (thicker and taller, maybe on a frame ) so that feeder can go underneath and...wait for it...putting wire netting around the bottom, back and sides, and some sort of door on the front so that rats etc. can't get to the feed at night.
Also, I could paint it a cool colour with some of that paint that you paint stuff outside with, and maybe improve the interior (haven't actually laid eyes on it yet) but feel that possibilities are endless!! Woah, gettin a bit carried away now. Will shut up and see what others have to say... I will try and put a pic of the advert in so that people who haven't seen it in a magazine can see what it looks like...
As you may have noticed, I am rather taken with the emoticons

sofaloaf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 05 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bro has just helpfully informed me that the cheap house has gone up to £139. Why?! As soon as I show interest in something, they put the price up by £20!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 05 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the cheap house the plywood type one that's mainly a box with a sloping roof. Erm, how to describe...like a 1960s house? Does that help?

I think that might not be too hard (nor too expensive) to knock up yourself. So much so that I could almost see me doing it and I don't even really know where Treacodactyl keeps his hammers and nails

Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 05 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS don't worry about the emoticon-abuse. I'm a fellow sufferer. I hated them to begin with, now I find myself unable to write an email without thinking "that needs some rolling eyes".

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 05 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend looking at the book I mentioned in this tread. It gives some good plans that you may decide not to follow but give a good idea of several types of house.

sofaloaf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 05 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dats ok Treacodactyl, I've got it already- that's partly what's made me so much of a mental-DIYer- no, not mad for all you comedians out there, I mean that I like to think of DIY stuff to in my head...and then it gets out of hand and I have to hit myself with something to make it stop I love that one.

sofaloaf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 05 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the inspiration is coming thick and fast this evening! I think I will convert the room at the end of our barn instead. Loads of room (12'x7'), straw + shavings on floor, perch with droppings board on back wall, rabbit hutch to lay in (the chooks love it, they actually search the barn for it, sit in it contentedly and make happy noises ). Very cost effective! All I need to buy/scrounge is stuff to make perch out of...

organic john

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 05 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i lived nearer id give you one

sofaloaf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 05 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a perch? Thanx organic john, thats nice of you. I migh actually have found something, in the basement. YES!! free!!

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 05 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used some handy shaped poles from some dogwood we cut back. They are a nice oval shape and the hens love 'em.

Marigold123

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 05 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sofaloaf wrote:
I'm currently looking around for a larger house for 15-20 hens which must have a droppings board!! That would save me so much work!
I just have the 3 hens on deep litter system with a droppings board. (Actually 3 is as many as can fit on the perch, as the shed is very tiny.) Because they are out all day, and poop on the board at night, I hardly ever have to change the woodshavings. Last Summer, when they didn't get up with their timer-light before it was light outside, I seriously didn't have to change the litter for about 6 months. It just didn't get dirty; it was amazing! My one bale of shavings is still only just over one third used up. I just scrape the board every 3 days or so into the compost heap, rinse it under the garden tap and leave it to dry before putting it back. It's really easy.

Someone asked about nest boxes and cutting a pop hole for shed conversions. For the pop hole I actually had to remove the overlapping planks on the outside of the shed and re-cut them before nailing them back. There are probably better ways to do this, and because the planks were so thin, it being such a tiny shed, as well as rather old, the wood was inclined to crack and split while it was being cut and nailed. I managed in the end though.

I had to do the same for the external nestbox; there simply wasn't room inside for one.

When I move and have space for more hens, I'll get a larger shed so I can put simple nest boxes inside. Building something rainproof onto the outside is a pain. I'll probably put in a flap to collect the eggs, though. And I'll keep the old shed in case I need separate living space for a mum and chicks away from the other birds.

Last edited by Marigold123 on Tue Feb 22, 05 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

sofaloaf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 05 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know...I'm so jealous...I NEED a droppings board...neeeed one...

Marigold123

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 05 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way you can install a simple board underneath the perches in the house you've got?

sofaloaf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 05 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope! Its one of those A frame arks with run underneath and the perch is literally 1" off the floor of the house. There's only just enough room for the chooks to get on the perch as it is!

Marigold123

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 05 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fit little nappies?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive