Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Indian Runner Ducks

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 05 5:22 pm    Post subject: Indian Runner Ducks Reply with quote

Anyone got any experience of these characters? We've decided we want some and need to know what they need. I've got some book details through the River Cottage site, but I just want as much information as possible. I've got 3 acres and a stream, so space is not a problem!

moogie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 05 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought it said indian RUBBER ducks. Had very odd visions

Bugs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 05 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know little, but they are high up my own list of desired animals I'd like to keep. We fell in love with them (well, I did) at a country fair type thing where somebody was using them to demonstrate sheep dog skills.

I've since found that they are supposed to be one of the better layers (second to Khaki Campbells?? I think that's right) and I think either quite tough or quite calm, maybe both. I can have a look through our books if that's any help but your bookshelf probably looks a lot like ours and I think you are after real experience rather than daydreamers like me

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 05 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Runner ducks are indeed second in laying terms to Campbells. However, they are of an extremely nervous disposition, and can be diffisult to manage from this point of view. They need the same requirements as other ducks; come in lovely colours - white, trout, etc. first introduced to Annan in south west Scotland in the late 1800s. Good for showing if you get some nice ones. I have watched groups of these being herded by sheepdogs at some of the agricultural shows. They are lovely ducks, and on my list of to-gets.

Wombat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 05 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have 3, one black male, 2 pure white females. The oldest female I rescued from the foxes mouth after it had killed all chickens and two other older IRD's. She had puncture wounds each side of her neck where the fox had grabbed her just as I went outside. We bandaged her neck up and she has been fine since then, 2 years ago.
They are great to watch, running, wiggleing around, always talking.
The eggs are very tasty, however our experience is not that many laid, maybe one every other day between them.
He is sex mad and mounts the females several times a day. In fact we got a Barnvelder hen to add to the flock, but she decided to make friends with the ducks first before the other chickens. he thinks she is a duck and can often be seen chasing her and grabbing her neck to mount her!
Go for them they are great. We feed layers pellets and wheat, plus have a plastic tray about 15cms deep, which they drink, swim and have sex in

Wombat

Bugs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 05 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the layers pellets the same as for chickens? (I think this has been asked before, sorry!)

Wombat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 05 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
Wombat

Bugs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 05 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. Merci, Wombat

tahir

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 05 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would that be pronounced wombah in French?

Bugs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 05 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mochyn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 05 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moogie:

Thanks Wombat. I've met quite a few Indian Runners and they're tremendous birds: heaps of character. I fell deeply in love with a black one at the Royal Welsh last summer: the most handsome bird I've ever seen.

It sounds like, apart from the nervousness, they'll be good for us. Mind you, if yours is OK after an encounter with Reynard, they can't be that nervous! I'm at home most of the time so It should be easy to get them settled in. There's a place near Oswestry that seells them, so I'll be off there once we've got a residence organised for them.

I'll keep you all posted!

Marigold123

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 05 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wombat wrote:
We feed layers pellets and wheat, plus have a plastic tray about 15cms deep, which they drink, swim and have sex in

Wombat
Things are obviously a LOT more fun at your house!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive