Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
What do you use your food processor for?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 06 12:10 am    Post subject: What do you use your food processor for? Reply with quote

I have got a food processor for Christmas! All very exciting as I have never owned one before.

All my cooking has been limited to what I can chop with a knife so now my horizons are broadening and I wondered - what indispensible foodstuffs do you make with yours?

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 06 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh - how exciting. Pastry takes seconds, as do biccies, cakes. Mine kneads, and grates, and slices potatoes really thin for crisps As you can tell I'm a fan!

wellington womble

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 06 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not enough! Himself bought me a kenwood for Christmas last year, and I hardly use the mixer, having got used to not having one. It's good for egg whites, butter and mayo though. This year he bought me the processor, and so far I have made breadcrumbs and fresh pea puree. Am planning on smoked mackeral pate for Christmas starter. Coleslaw features somewhere on the christmas menu too, and possibly julliene vegetables.

I have used the sasuagemaker and mincer bit, and also the sieve for sieveing redcurant jelly and other jams. I didn't exactly use them regualrly, but I was truly grateful for them when I did! I did stuff in bulk, and while the sieve sounds a bit daft, it really reduced the wasted pulp from the jelly, and made lovely pip-free raspberry jam. Worth it for me!

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 06 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit ambiguous on ours, it does get used a lot I suppose, mainly for dicing onions, blending in spices, odd bits of Mayo, breadcrumbs, but I keep thinking with sufficient practice I could do a better job on onions with a knife and that is its main task, so does it really justify the space is uses?

Azura Skye

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 06 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quite a few things, mostly salads, raw celeriac gets shredded up in there. I shred up beetroot, carrot and apple.
I also freeze bananas and blend them up for a quick 'ice cream'.
I make sweet treats by blending up dates/raisins with nuts and coconut.
Good for smooth soups. Mayonnaise. Sauces.

Ooh, didn't realise I used it so much : )

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 06 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to think of it carrots/celery get diced as well for ragu sauces.

Sarah D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 06 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing now!!

I gave mine away and it's been replaced by a hand mouli in my ongoing bid to become as non-electric as possible. I occasionally used it for mayonnaise and breadcrumbs but that was about it so i can manage without one.

Northern_Lad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 06 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the odd occasions I borrow mother's I use it for pastry and making paté; not at the same time though: that'd be just plain odd.

Blending down onions for currys is a good one too. Other uses all depend on what other gadgets you've got.

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 06 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a very cheap one which is fine for quick pastry and breadcrumbs but I can't say I use it for a lot of things. As its only a cheap thing there's no pulse on it or variable speed and it does have an alarming habit of cutting out when it thinks the going is getting too tough - so large quantities of pastry aren't possible.

boisdevie1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 06 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Kenwood for:

mixing pastry
mixing dough for bread
cutting veg
grinding meat and making sausages

And I wouldn't be without it

Northern_Lad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 06 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boisdevie1 wrote:
I use a Kenwood for:

mixing pastry
mixing dough for bread
cutting veg
grinding meat and making sausages

And I wouldn't be without it

That sounds more like a food mixer than a processor.

I think we're on about the smaller ones with blades in a bowl you can seal, rather than the big ones with an open bowl. 'Course, I could be wrong...

frewen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 06 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's a processor rather than a mixer and although I have managed without one I'm not going to look a gift hourse in the mouth and I promise to use the electric sparingly...

P.S I made meatloaf, bacon pudding, peppermint creams and ganache during my experiments last night.

joanne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 06 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used mine in over a year - Although I do use my hand held blender alot and its various attachments.

I did used to use it alot for making things in bulk but I haven't been doing that recently - One of my resolutions for next year is to get back into the habit of making stuff in bulk and freezing it.

2steps

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 06 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

use mine for all in one cake mix, pastry and breadcrumbs mostly. But have also made meragnes in it. If I have a lot of veg to chop, like when I'm doing a bulk cook I use it for that too, ours has a blender attatchment that we use for milkshakes, smoothies and pancake/yorkshire pud mix. I have a tiny little proccessor I bought for making baby food. the big one often didnt mix the small amounts properly and it saved on washing up I use that for spices and small amounts of anything

onejohndog

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 06 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would anyone recomend a particular make model, is there one that does proccessing as well as mixing? We currently have a processor with no name (lidle I think) that is just about dead,and are looking to replace in near future , have used Kenwood chef(i think ) in rented holiday acommodation and was impressed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive