Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
My new business

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 06 7:43 am    Post subject: My new business Reply with quote

Thought I would take Tahir's advice and pimp myself some more!!

Just formed a new business up here in Cheshire, supplying and erecting Oak Framed Timber Outbuildings.

Unlike some suppliers, we are managing the whole project, from groundworks thru' to roofing, including any extras, ie. on stables, sourcing and supplying/fitting stable doors, lights, partitions, etc.
A totally project managed building.

We are currently looking at a conservation programme, for example, planting a couple of Oak trees for every building produced. Anyone any ideas/contacts??
Have also attended an RHS seminar last friday re FSC and sourcing from sustainable forests/plantations, etc.

www.cheshireoakstructures.co.uk

We have leaflets available should anyone want one, plus any projects recommended/sold we offer good commissions!!

Wombat

boisdevie1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 06 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a quick look at your site. May I suggest some ideas? IN the spirit of hopefuly being useful?

1. A bit of biog information about you - experience etc.
2. Photos of stuff you've done - sort of gallery.
3. Quotes from satisfied customers

But I did like the site and good luck with it.
Bois (former cabinetmaker so one who appreciates a good mortice and tenon joint)

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 06 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a nice clear site, agree that more images of completed projects would give customers a better idea, also, which I appreciate that evey build will be priced differently, a lot of people want to know roughly whether they can afford work doing, so something like 'prices start from as little as £xxx..' can give people a ballpark idea of what to expect and also means you won't have to field too many calls from peopel who really havent got the faintest idea of whether they can afford you
Looking good!

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 06 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point there about money, a lot of people would also be put off calling if they have no idea as to what sort of money is needed.

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 06 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you joined any organisations? AECB is a useful one, have you spoken to Gervase, he's into building restoration and sustainable building.

cab

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 06 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a site still under construction, I think that site is looking really good. If it remains as clear and well laid out as you add more content, then it'll be a winner of a site.

NeathChris

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 06 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good site.

Leonie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 06 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks great, I'd love one of those outbuildings, they're lovely. Good luck and all the best

Wombat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 06 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your comments, very useful.

More photo's/designs/customer comments will come as we produce more.........hopefully!

As stated it is still under construction to a degree, but recognise that we need to add more asap.

Will check out AECB and have a pm with Gervaise.

Thanks all,
Wombat

Old-Chads-Orchard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 07 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice site, a few things Dean;

the text size is a bit large, may be a personal thing but I prefer a smaller text size

the header takes up too much of the page, needs to be smaller

the page title doesn't appear in the browser window (unsure what editor you are using, usually set in page properties) You want a message or URL to appear in the browser otherwise you cant tell what is open on the task bar

your links are using the tilston court url, really picky here but i would host it seperatly from your other web page, just helps keep the identity of the site

sorry if I sound a bit hash, don't mean to

Wombat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 07 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All views are most welcome, thanks Steve.

A pal of mine has knocked the site up just to get us going. We now need to fine tune. So again all comments are appreciated.

Wombat

chez

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 07 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked it, too. I've started sending out a 'feedback form' and an SAE with our invoices; it does pay off for getting sound bites etc. and I've also got a box on the bottom for people to fill in with the contact details of anyone else they would recommend us to. Will email you one to hack around with if you would like?

sneeuwklokje

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 07 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might well be that my browser has borked the layout of your site (using IE 6.0.2800), but I hope you won't mind the following comments?

I personally don't like how the text is split on the "Home" section of the site: it makes the text somewhat distracting to read? Given that this is the first page so to speak, I think looking at a different layout might be something to consider?

Secondly, I know this might seem really pedantic, and what you have might well be correct, but I wonder if the following: "Our craftsman are skilled in the timeless method..." should read: "Our craftsman is skilled..." - if of course, you only have the one or perhaps: "Our craftsmen are skilled..." if you have more than one?

In the "Designs" section, I think it would be a good idea to elaborate on what the "number of different functions" could actually be, just like you have done in the Home section. Not only are you selling your craftsmanship and what looks like a great product, but, you might also need to "suggest" a certain, hrm, lifestyle idea to your potential customers? In the abscence of real pictures - or even "artist's sketches" right now, not everyone will be clear about what they want, so you would have to paint these various functions in words and to repeat what you do is not always a bad idea. Assume your reader knows nothing - or very little

Perhaps you could whip up some sketches? Or photos of joints up close? Illustrate the idea that this is not just "a shed." And, when it really takes off, some "hints and tips" perhaps about caring for such a building? Perhaps you could also consider "outfitting" the thing too in terms of custom made furniture? Do you do furniture as well?

Finally, a minor point: your copyright banner is looking rather large so perhaps a tweak there is required.

I like your logo and the colours used on your site. I wish you all the best with starting such a venture! I hope it is prosperous for you.

moonwind

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 07 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice website and plenty of scope.

You may like to think about putting what area you cover for supply and erect.

Price is something you should consider indicating but am sure you already know it is unwise to be specific.

I suppose you could indicate cost of a specific size building but you would not be able to be specific when it comes to the erection of the building, there are just too many different things that can alter prices on ground preps and discovering unknowns.

If you go too high because someone pushes you for a price, and you therefore put a high one in to try and cater for all eventualities you can easily put off a prospective Client, on the other hand too cheap and you could be bust in no time!

We belong to a professional body, but to be 100% honest do not think that makes a huge amount of difference, the best is a name people remember and word of mouth!! .. of course that takes time.

You might find that your products could be used by other professional landscapers who only use quality products.

We had a Client order a Carousel type structure which OH did not have time to make, so ordered one from a so called reputable firm.

It arrived when he was not here, lorry dropped it off in the yard and when OH saw it, he didn't even have to open the sealed package, he muttered something about bl**dy banana wood, kicked it and phoned the Company to come and take their C*** back.

Then found the time to make Client one!

Good Luck anyway.

Tinks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 07 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, and can't wait to see more piccies. think it looks nice and clear.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive