Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Next Question. Changing to a mac from a pc.

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 06 2:36 pm    Post subject: Next Question. Changing to a mac from a pc. Reply with quote

Have just come back from compooper shop and the mac laptops are verrry nice.... and as I said my mum (72) is a mac-head.
So, I know everyone has their own preferences, but has anyone done the swap from pc to mac?
I only possess one item of pc only software which could be used on the desktop anyway.
How did you find the changeover?
Are you glad you did it?

I will only be using the machine for the buiness, no games, DVD's etc. Website, photos, email, accounts.
What do I need to know?

n

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 06 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed and found it dead easy, but then I'd never used a pc much. Mandy gets annoyed with it because things aren't in the same place/done the same way as using windoze.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 06 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I see it once a system is set up there really is not that much to remember, whether on a mac/windoze or Linux.
So if you are happy that the machine will run what you need it to run, then just go for it.

oldish chris

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 06 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Mac using son says its easier than easy (and you get a remote control!) To move files from your PC to the Mac, he has both plugged into a router, then on the mac: on the bottom line is an icon called "Finder", then "network" then find the files on the PC.

dougal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 06 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Next Question. Changing to a mac from a pc. Reply with quote

n wrote:
I will only be using the machine for the buiness, no games, DVD's etc. Website, photos, email, accounts.
What do I need to know?

Accounts.
Work out how you intend to run your accounts.

Moving the datafile is the easy bit.
Learning a new program and transferring all the existing data into the new program is unlikely to be an entirely trivial exercise.
Many people time their change for the end of a financial year...

Do you have a printer, scanner, etc that you'd like to keep? Make certain that there are Mac drivers.

Apple's 'home' machines used to come with a bundled bit of software called AppleWorks. Its a really simple WP, spreadsheet & drawing program. It runs on the Intel machines through the magic of Rosetta. But it wasn't re-written to be Intel native. Its easy to recompile a modern app as a universal binary. Not so for something with roots as deep as AppleWorks'. So, presumably for developer relations politics reasons, Apple simply dropped it. An iLife try-out is not an adequate replacement.

You also ought to know about Leopard being released in a matter of weeks. It is (as usual) unknown what hardware revisions Apple may announce at the same time. My guesses would be for a lot of action around the iPod and "iPhone", and revision of the Mac Pro line rather than significant changes to the iMacs or laptops. The Quad Core processors just drop straight in to the Pro... https://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/desktops/0,1000000968,39284700,00.htm
I have heard a suggestion of a high-performance super-small laptop... but rumours are just rumours. Things will be rather clearer in three weeks time.

I'd say that Macs have "lower support costs" - which matters bigtime if you are spreading those costs over one machine. Its less important spread over a dozen, and a fairly insignificant advantage spread over a few thousand corporate machines.
But its very important when its your own machine, and you are the IT support dept.

Forager

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 07 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Mac at work a few years ago and I hated it. I ended up giving it to the Mac department. Whether it was because I was set in my ways I don't know but as I like IT stuff I thought it worth a go but just didn't like the look and feel of the OS.

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 07 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody hell man, where've you been? Happy new year/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive