About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Launching new web design site
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 05 4:56 pm    Post subject: Launching new web design site Reply with quote

Today I registered:

www.m4webdesign.co.uk

Which I will use to try and promote an ethical web design service for small businesses.

It will be a little while before I actually launch the site, and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what they would like to see from a web design service.

I have dropped one hint in the title of the site M4, as I know I would prefer to work with people within physical reach, as I believe small businesses need a lot of hand holding to get on the web.

monkey1973

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 05 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats unethical about current web design?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 05 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it wouldn't load

twoscoops

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 05 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a web design provider I would like to be able to have a front page with a logo, an image and a menu of, say, four or five sections of the site to visit. I’d like to be able to change any of the images/options and also update the what’s new page. Too many websites have quite garish colour schemes, so I would rather go down the classier route, like

https://www.bang-olufsen.com/Web/beovision7/

I mean the style more than the movey about stuff. Am I asking too much?

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 05 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the new site is not host yet.

Much web design for small businesses is very unethical.

Most sites are set up as dead end static pages. Unsuitable for proper eccomerce.

Once the site is set up the small business is often not empowered to make any changes for itself, always having to pay the web designer.

Often name registration and hosting is in the hands of the designer tying the small business into the designing company

Pluys of course sometimes the charges are very silly. A company I did do design for:

https://www.arkwrightshomebrew.com/

was quoted £15,000 for setting up the sort of site I have done for them.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 05 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twoscoops wrote:
From a web design provider I would like to be able to have a front page with a logo, an image and a menu of, say, four or five sections of the site to visit. I’d like to be able to change any of the images/options and also update the what’s new page. Too many websites have quite garish colour schemes, so I would rather go down the classier route, like

There are issues about style when designing sites for the small business. In some ways the classier and more complex the style, the more unlikely it is that the small business will be able to maintain the site themselves.
I favour using what is known as a content management system, either oscommerce or mambo, which is perhaps not as classy as B&O but does empower the business to maintain its own site once properely tutored.

monkey1973

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 05 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best website I've used recently for online shopping is

https://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/index.php

I found it clear and easy to use. Easy to shop around.

mrsnesbitt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 05 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would agree with you there monkey!

I too am in the process of having a website done and want it to be really artisticie a reflection of my work. if anybody comes across any arty sites please let me know. In the past when I have asked for examples of good sites I dont think I made my self clear. I should not have used the word good ie content...but good as in pleasing to look at.

monkey1973

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 05 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsnesbitt wrote:
I too am in the process of having a website done and want it to be really artisticie a reflection of my work. if anybody comes across any arty sites please let me know. In the past when I have asked for examples of good sites I dont think I made my self clear. I should not have used the word good ie content...but good as in pleasing to look at.

Mrs N, what is it you do, artwise?

mrsnesbitt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 05 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Monkey
I do various arty things. Handcrafted wedding stationery and everything associated, birth announcement, christening stuff, I use watercolours, acrylics and can incorporate my own calligraphy. I also have made some pieces for bereavements.I call these Living Memorials. The Co-op Funeral People were very encouraging with the latter and ran a P.R. exercise for me. I know there are people out there doing similar, but the choices we have up here are limited. hence the need for a website.

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 05 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jema wrote:
Twoscoops wrote:

There are issues about style when designing sites for the small business. In some ways the classier and more complex the style, the more unlikely it is that the small business will be able to maintain the site themselves.
I favour using what is known as a content management system, either oscommerce or mambo, which is perhaps not as classy as B&O but does empower the business to maintain its own site once properely tutored.

Although the Brazilian Porsche site is done in mambo:

www.porsche.com.br

twoscoops

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 05 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice one. Did a Google search for Brazilian, did you?

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 05 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that right at the start of Downsizer, I'd never heard of Mambo so hunted around for sites that used it. Anyway TS what do you think of Jema's intended charging policies? Would you pay £1000 set up & £ 600 per annum?

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 05 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:

Although the Brazilian Porsche site is done in mambo:

www.porsche.com.br

Looks quite modded though.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 05 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
I found that right at the start of Downsizer, I'd never heard of Mambo so hunted around for sites that used it. Anyway TS what do you think of Jema's intended charging policies? Would you pay £1000 set up & £ 600 per annum?

Possibly less per annum, and this would be for a full oscommerce solution, with the support needed to put the customer in charge of the process.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive