Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Hedge laying

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 07 7:56 am    Post subject: Hedge laying Reply with quote

Came across a hedge laying competition yesterday, stopped and had a nosey, turned out one of the chaps was local and is now going to give me a few pointers one weekend on how to lay a hedge
Some people had traveled over 150 miles to attend, and I doubt any of them were younger than 45, wonder if it gets to the stage where no one is doing it in the future?

bernie-woman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 07 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Hedge laying Reply with quote

offroading.net wrote:
Some people had traveled over 150 miles to attend, and I doubt any of them were younger than 45, wonder if it gets to the stage where no one is doing it in the future?

I do hope not - we do a lot of hedge laying around the nature reserve that I am involved in - it is something I want to have a go at myself properly - I keep meaning to go on a course

cab

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 07 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did hedge laying with the BTCV; can't claim that I ever became good at it, but its something that isn't hard to learn, and with some practice I'm sure that anyone can do it. I don't think its a craft that'll be lost, and if anything theres more interest in it now than there has been for years.

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 07 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WEe've got an article on it somewhere

judith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 07 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Hedge laying Reply with quote

offroading.net wrote:
I doubt any of them were younger than 45, wonder if it gets to the stage where no one is doing it in the future?

Last year we had some fencing put in by some chaps who do hedge-laying in the winter and fencing the rest of the year. One of them celebrated his 73rd birthday while he was working here!

judith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 07 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
WEe've got an article on it somewhere

As if by magic...

mochyn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 07 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old chap had an afternoon's hedging with our neighbour two weekend ago, working on part of one of our hedges. the neighbour is only (!) 37 and has won awards for his hedging. He travels quite a bit to enter competitions. As well as running his farm he does lots of hedging and fencing with his brother. They've asked the old chap if he wants to work with them occasionally. If only there was enough money in it for him to take them up on it!

The old chap really enjoyed it and found it satisfying. he bought himself a second hand refurbished Bilwg last weekend! (Takes quite a bit to get his hand into the same pocket as the money...)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive