Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Chimneys and real fires
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 05 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonO wrote:
and chimneys were kinda designed for that job !

Behemoth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 05 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="JonO". The chimney sweep informed me that a lot of people fall foul of putting in liners when they don't need to as it is a rather expensive thing to do and chimneys were kinda designed for that job !

quote]

I was cynical like that until the bloke let off the smoke bomb. I watched it woosh up the chimney, good draw i thought, and then went upstairs to find the attic bedrooms full of smoke. Looked out of the velux, there was no smoke coming out of the chimney pot but the rest of the stack was leaking smoke like a seive.

JonO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 05 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definatly proves the benefit of getting it tested !

judyofthewoods

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 05 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moggins, you can do a preliminary test for draw and to see if the smoke comes out of the chimney by burning some news paper, the smoke of which is not too noxious if it does enter the house. In my own experience with an inglenook, the draw was poor (perhaps due to a large cold surface area - a hot chimney improves draw), and most of the heat went into the sky. I had an Isokern liner installed, which was very good, but not the cheapest option. I was advised not to have the inflated type lining system, but it was many years ago and I can't remember the reason for it.

mochyn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 05 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a Clearview and love it. It's very easy to maintain, almost never goes out and we can cook on top of it. As we live on the edge of a wood and have lots of hard wood on our own land it's the obvious thing. They're also made not far from here and we picked ours up from the foundry and installed it ourselves.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 05 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which model have you got?

hils

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 05 1:44 pm    Post subject: chimney liner Reply with quote

hi re chimney liners. Have a look in your Yellow pages under chimney liners - my father had his own business doing just this for years (retired now). They usually do a free quote and inspection and can let you know the best places to buy stoves or may even have a good second hand one for sale.

H

hils

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 05 1:48 pm    Post subject: chimney liner Reply with quote

ps he mainly lined with perlite which they melt or something and it sticks to the inside of the chimney. sorry not too good with the ins and outs of it!

moggins

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 05 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks hils, I've just found a few. Now would it be best to call out the chimney sweep first and see what he thinks. I'd prefer to do that than call in a company who are going to say straightaway, yes Mrs, you do need a liner, who would you like to take your second mortgage out with?

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 05 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you only had it swept two years ago a sweep wouldn't do any harm, there might be stuff stuck in it. Lining's not *that* expensive, ours was about a grand, and we've got a tall house. I mean, I know a grand's a lot, but not for something that lasts almost for ever and stops your house burning down.

hils

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 05 1:56 pm    Post subject: chimney liner Reply with quote

up to you! i forget that there are con artists out there and they're not all like my dad! The chimney liner person should do a smoke test as part of the free quote to see what you actually do need to have done...
not sure if you should call out sweep first though...

H

moggins

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 05 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, it's on the go!! Chimney sweep has been booked for the beginning of April. Lovely lady on the phone too. They are going to do a smoke test and check the integrity of the chimney and they also sell stoves so she said I can harangue the sweep with questions when he comes as he will be fully registered to fit them

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 05 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurrah, woodburners rock. Make sure you get one where you don't need to do too much fiddling about if you need to burn coal. I know that may not be the plan but it's good to have the option. For instance ours is too little to stay in all night with just wood in it (unless we're burning oak) so being able to add in some coal is useful.

twoscoops

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 05 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
ours is too little to stay in all night with just wood in it (unless we're burning oak) so being able to add in some coal is useful.

So does that mean coal burns slower? We only burn wood, but can easily switch to coal.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 05 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loads slower, our burner uses about 1kg of wood /hour. 2 or 3 kg of coal stays in for about 8-10 hours.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive