goose questions ...beware, long post!!
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 05 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey up, mrsnesbitt!

Say hello to Jo and Dolly from me.

DarrenG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 05 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

firstly we have about 30 geese that we allow access to about 3 acres, and the grass isnt foul, so I cant understand why yours is, have you tried raking it up, and if the gander has suddenly become agressive keep your eyes open for eggs, often buried under the strangest of things

sofaloaf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 05 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren, I'm not sure whether our grass is foul or not because I don't know what foul grass looks like. Today I was thinking to myself, it may not be as bad as it looks, because we got the geese in december after the grass had stopped growing, so it has not been able to grow new shoots to recover itself (is this a good theory?) So that you and others can pass judgement on the state of our grass, whether it is overstocked or not, I have included some photos I took of it today...Sorry about the size, but I wanted you to be able to see detail!
Here's about 1/4 of their grass...

here's 2 pics from the worst bits where they like to congregate...

And here are 3 pics of the average grass, wot most of the lawn looks like...

What do you think??

dougal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 05 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived with a pair of (elderly) geese for 5 years. Their "paddock" was perhaps the same sort of size as your *photographed* space. But the poo density maybe wasn't quite as bad...
Are they eating grass only? Geese don't fully digest the grass and so produce quite a lot of poo. But its pretty innocuous stuff, and quickly biodegrades after a bit of rain. (I think worms love it and pull it underground - not much worm activity right now.) In dry weather much of it can can be raked up or collected with a (flymo-style) mower! I doubt their appetites will keep up with growth on that area once the grass gets going...
Feeding them some corn would reduce the amount of grass they were cropping, and so would reduce the quantity of poo.
They like lettuce and really soaking bread as treats, as well as the odd extra handful of grain. Getting them to come to you for such treats (rather than a confrontation) should be mutually rewarding!
The gander is going to be a bit 'boy-sterous' from spring until the egg season ends. He is just doing what comes naturally. He can't help it! If you carry a garden cane you can "parry" (fencing term = deflect) his lunges, but yes, you will have to mind your backside. You might achieve 'respect' once he recognises that you are bigger and badder than he is, but don't count on it!

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 05 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, but they have been saying we've had very little rain this winter. More rain would help disperse the droppings.

sofaloaf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 05 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies, they've really helped! I will see if I can get hold of some alternative greens for them to eat, as well as corn and bread (I fed the gander quite a lot the other day by way of a bonding exercise-he seemed very happy in my company...until I ran out of bread! The result...instant attack! the two females are much harder to bond with) I will be more accomdating towards poor Gandalf as he's only doing his thing. Now I see that the change in his behaviour pattern has coincided with the breeding season, as he seemed pretty friendly when they arrived in Dec. I think I try and get hold of a movable goose house to put on the grass part, rather than the geese having to cross the drive, and fence of the drive bit with the electric fence so that all droppings are confined to the grass, where they're easier to deal with! Ta everyone!

Nanny

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 05 8:22 pm    Post subject: geese Reply with quote

i had a pair for a while on our 1/2 acre. we folded them round using flexi net which worked well though the dog couldn't get it through his head that if he taunted me conehead by barking, the goose could strtch the flexi net to peck at him.

mrs conehead was a fine laying bird. she layed form late feb till july time and we (sorry i made my husband do it) used to brave his nastiness during the breeding season to collect the eggs. he was so vicious that i refused to go into the pen in the end but we found that if you came in low and waggled your hand like a goose head while you hissed at him in return he wasn't nearly so brave. and always remember.............if he comes at you with one wing forward and one wing back he is serious about killing you. that back wing packs a hell of a punch.

but don't let that put you off of course

DarrenG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 05 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the grass doesnt look to bad either to me just use a grass rake on it occassionally, if you are going to use alternative greens altho the frosts have knocked them back a bit try to use spring greens, (sliced for goslings) they absolutely love it and its full of iron, its also a great food for week old goslings and they consume it with great gusto
btw I think you'll still be mowing that grass come the summer

DarrenG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 05 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the grass doesnt look to bad either to me just use a grass rake on it occassionally, if you are going to use alternative greens altho the frosts have knocked them back a bit try to use spring greens, (sliced for goslings) they absolutely love it and its full of iron, its also a great food for week old goslings and they consume it with great gusto
btw I think you'll still be mowing that grass come the summer

mrsnesbitt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 05 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed our geese enjoy the fat balls which dropped from the tree.you know the wild bird type. Yesterday Jo took quite a time to happily peck away at it..............so once you've given him some bread this would hopefully keep him occupied. Maybes feed him the bread in a type of challenge situation...so he has to forage for it..get my drift?
D

Jennywitch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 05 3:55 pm    Post subject: Goose Eggs Reply with quote

Hi, Wonderful stories about everyone's geese. I have two Frankie and Matilda. Frankie arrived on 14 Fbe 2004 and Matilda just two months ago and today we had our first egg. Frankie loves his bread in the morning and in the evening - Matilda plays and nibbles at hers and then continues to 'mow' what was the lawn. Tips previous given are very helpful - thanx. However, I would like Matilda to lay eggs to provide me with goslings - any ideas please?

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 05 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not telling unless you register.
Actually I don't know, but I'm sure one of the goose-owners will be along in a minute.

mrsnesbitt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 05 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you need to know jenny...........cant promise I'll know but I will try.
Dx

sofaloaf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 05 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone! Thanx for all the helpful posts!! I am going to move the electric fence 2moro so that the grass is separated into 2 strips, to keep them off the pooey bit by the apple tree. Howeva, this will mean that they can't get to their house in the day, because I'm going to fence them off the drive as there is s**t everywhere! Mum keeps telling me to have a poopscoop. Anyway, d'you think it will matter to them that they cant get to thier house in the day, as they seem to lay in the morning before they are let out, but sometimes its a bit hit&miss and one lays around lunchtime. Maybe I should let them out a bit later so that the girls have a good chance of laying in the house?? Will they mind if they have to lay on the grass? Actually, that shouldn't be a problenm for them because they just barge down the fence if they feel the urge...

Last edited by sofaloaf on Mon Mar 14, 05 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nanny

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 05 3:02 pm    Post subject: geese questions Reply with quote

shouldn't make a big difference to them aslong as they can get to their food and water....ours never really used a house even though we provided one for them at all times.....as long as they could find somewhere to get out of the worst of the weather they were fine

some frosty mornings you could see where they had spent the night because of the oval shape on the grass

as for nesting, mrs c. used to make herself a scrape where she could pretend you couldn't see her up against a hedge or the fence or somewhere and then just got on with it................

we also had a goose and gander named esme and eric (esme eggs a'right?) and she did make a nest in the shed when we allowed her to to sit but the eggs came to nothing unfortunately and we ended up chucking them away

i heard later somewhere that they shoudln't be allowed to sit the first year.....she and eric went to live somewhere else and brought up a lovely family by nesting in a hedge so don't worry too much if they can't get to their house in the day time.............you will just find the eggs elsewhere

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive