Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Sustainability?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Author 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 07 4:01 pm    Post subject: Sustainability? Reply with quote

I had a discussion with the farm manager at Tiptree jams yesterday, the farm is run as a separate business from the jam making, his cost of production for jam strawbs is £xxxx per tonne, but he has to sell them at £xxx per tonne because the jam side can buy in frozen pretrimmed Chinese strawbs for £xxx per tonne.

So he loses money on his sales.

Bonkers eh?

I know which strawbs'll be going into all the fruit yogs and jams in the supermarkets....

Last edited by tahir on Tue Apr 24, 07 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 07 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's two businesses why not sell them elsewhere and make a profit?

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 07 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Sustainability? Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
his cost of production for jam strawbs is £xxxx per tonne, but he has to sell them at £xxx per tonne because the jam side can buy in frozen pretrimmed Chinese strawbs for £xxx per tonne....

That's very kind of the jam business - I suppose they could have screwed him down to £xxx/tonne

This does seem to be a problem with growing fruit and veg for processing. I haven't separated out the two sides of my business, but I suspect [no, I know] that the one subsidises the other.

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 07 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonnyboy wrote:
If it's two businesses why not sell them elsewhere and make a profit?

They're developing that side of things, they had fresh fruit in Waitrose last year but it's a fundamental shift in what they do; fresh sales need to meet a completely different set of criteria. Also Tiptree consider that buying English fruit where possible is a key element of their persona, can't imagine there are any other jam makers that buy for more.

Green Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 07 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another sad example of Britain being out priced. The Chinese fruit is almost being picked by slaves.

MarkS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 07 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if they only almost pick it, there wont be any for sale.

boom boom!!

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 07 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hamster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 07 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehehe.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive