Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Product idea - Who to contact?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Author 

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 07 9:54 am    Post subject: Product idea - Who to contact? Reply with quote

If I have an idea for a product but cannot atcually create it myself does anyone know who I need to get in contact with and how to protect my idea? thanks

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 07 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will all depend on what the idea is, different manufacturing/market sectors will have different ways of being approached and most will want to know its a big viable idea before even entertaining the idea.

As for protecting it, write it out, post it to yourself recorded delivery and do not open the envelope when it arrives. The postal stamp will show when it was sent in case of any argument later on. Its not totally foolproof but its a very cheap way of demonstrating when you first exerted your right to be identifed as the copyright holder of the design.

Another way apparently is to get your bank to stamp and date a copy of your design, to show it existed in your name on a given date.

Also do a check at the patents office website to see if there is anything similar- just in case

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 07 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I came up with an idea I thought had a sporting chance at a patent, I figured I was not much cop at the process, so I told a friend who was we would go 50/50 thinking half of something is a lot more than 100% of nothing.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 07 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without giving away any critical details of course, roughly what market is this idea aimed at? Might help people suggest lines of enquiry that are relevant as well as the more general thoughts

wellington womble

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 07 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your solicitor may make certified copies (although they might charge) I vaguely remember my mum sending things to a solicitor for copywright (which might be different) in exactly the way Sally described, only the solicitor files it. I wonder if any 'notary' would do. If you just need a professional (like with your passport) then I'll be happy to do it for you.

2steps

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 07 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its an idea based on something that already exsists that would make supermarket shopping tons easier for parents with pushchairs. I could design the item myself but have no way of producing one.

Could I contact the people who make what is already avaliable and very simular?

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 07 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good move, how exactly you get them to agree to pay you if they like the idea is a trickier one though, but in the first instance contacting them to say 'I can improve on this' might work. Or even, just possibly, pick a supermarket that you don't mind too much and approach them, they'd end up with an 'improved for parents, by a mum, exclusive to us' design trolley and may be more open to the idea as they could using at a marketing hook

cab

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 07 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2steps, its a difficult one. If the idea is sufficiently different to what has been done before then it may be patentable, but that ain't a cheap route. The 'signed and dated' thing that Sally suggests is fine for establishing when you did something in some countries, but in others its whoever got to patent office first, so your very best protection is simply not to tell anyone till you're sure.

If you're convinced that your idea is good then the idea of talking to a trolley manufacturer is one that is potentially good, but fraught with problems too; even a two-way mutual non-disclosure agreement may not fully protect you should you later decide to patent.

How sure are you of this idea? Do you need to make a prototype to test it out?

Blacksmith

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 07 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could make you a prototype if you like ?

Beckyess

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 07 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try British Inventors Society they should be able to point you in the right direction, help with patents etc.
Becky

2steps

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 07 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blacksmith wrote:
Could make you a prototype if you like ?

I don't think so as it all metal. I could possibily 'aqquire' a trolley and adapt it

have bookmarked that becky, thank you

Went

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 07 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 2steps - came across this don't know if it is of any use.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3698356.stm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive