Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
The first of many...

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 05 12:38 am    Post subject: The first of many... Reply with quote

Our first two pigs to be reared at Rosewood Farm have now gone to slaughter. They were (rather large) Large Black baconers, so I'm looking forward to the first taste of LB pork & discovering their reputation as fine bacon It has been the culmination of a very meaty month

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 05 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurrah. You've certainly been packing them in in the last few weeks.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 05 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: The first of many... Reply with quote

Rob R wrote:
Our first two pigs to be reared at Rosewood Farm have now gone to slaughter. They were (rather large) Large Black baconers, so I'm looking forward to the first taste of LB pork & discovering their reputation as fine bacon It has been the culmination of a very meaty month

What does a pig represent in terms of weight of cuts?

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 05 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how big is big? What did these pigs weigh?

Rob R

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 05 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
And how big is big? What did these pigs weigh?

Very big! They were born mid-January last year, so they should have gone as baconers at the beginning of winter, but not having both the time & space to deal with them, they got left until the now. We had thought we had plenty to deal with, what with beef (which had to go in before it was thirty months) & sheep, but we decided to get it over with, else they'd be getting too big. They've eaten all home mixed feeds, with no soya or other imported protein, and for two thirds of their lives, have been eating cereal feed grown entirely by members of my family. Just lately they have also been getting sugar beet, from a neighbouring farm, so it will be interesting to see if that adds in any way to the 'sweetness' of the meat.

Anyway, we estimated their weight at about 120kg about six weeks ago, and I'll let you know what they were deadweight when I pick them up. One thing, they certainly looked bigger when we got them in the trailer than they ever did in the pen! And one was very stubborn too! It's certainly true that you can't push a pig, and it's certainly adviseable not to try pushing at the sharp end!

I'm having them cut as baconers & keeping some back as pork, so I'll post how big they turned out/cut weights when they come back.

nettie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 05 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if there's too much for you Rob you know where we are.....

Rob R

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 05 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this rate I'll have to forget about advertising & just draw up an exclusive waiting list

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive