Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
New Article : Keeping a fragrant and fresh house.

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 05 9:05 pm    Post subject: New Article : Keeping a fragrant and fresh house. Reply with quote

Julie has written this great article. Have a look here.

https://www.downsizer.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=102

nettie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 05 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Julie! Love the chicken, and I will definitely be giving the powder a try

Bugs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 05 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nettie wrote:
I will definitely be giving the powder a try

Yep, me too. Not sure where on my list it goes but fortunately this one can hang around for a little while until we get some herbs and flowers going! We've made some pot pourri before and it's not been wildly successful. OH's ma makes it brilliantly and she uses orris root, so I hope that Julie's tips will help me rival her (although then she might not give me a jar hmm, some weighing up to do there!).

How long do you find it "keeps" for, Julie (as in, how long is the scent effective for?).

wellington womble

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 05 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the chicken!

I read somewhere that we use pot-pourri all wrong these days - it used to be kept in a sealed jar, and only opened and warmed by the fire shortly before the room was going to be used (I think it was the victorians who did this)

It was probably 'the fragrant pharmacy' by valerie ann worwood, which is a very good read - I believe there are others in the series, but this is a good general giude to using essestial oils in preperations from a room scenting spray (as Julie said) to making moisteriser and cleaning products, or using them to alleviate the symptoms of PMT.

Gertie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 05 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julie - I've just had a thought (steady!) we have got a few air freshners dotted around our house. They are those syntheticy things.

I really enjoyed your article and especially liked the chicken - so cute!

I think I should make it my aim to have a go at this - and dump the ones we presently have.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 05 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot - I have an aromastone - I think it was about £20 from boots. Its a little ceramic round thing with a wire coming out and a depression in the top that gets warm when you plug it in - about as hot as a radiator - and you just bung oils in when you remember. It's as safe as any electrical applicance to leave on while you're out and at night, but does need cleaning every so often. It would also be safe in a childs room, as it deosn't get to hot. In the past I have used light bulb rings (work, but a nusciance to refill!) and a witch ball - a glass float that you hang in the window and put essential oils in for the sun to warm. Of all of them the aromastone is the least hassle and most accessible, and gets used most often. I must get another for the bedroom.

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 05 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to how long this pot-pourri lasts - I find that if the scent has disappeared a bit of a shake up or stir seems to bring it out again ( like hugging Mrs Wishbone) I think its going to get re-done when there are new lavender flowers for drying and/or it gets dusty or sad looking.

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 05 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wellington womble wrote:
I forgot - I have an aromastone - I think it was about £20 from boots. Its a little ceramic round thing with a wire coming out and a depression in the top that gets warm when you plug it in - about as hot as a radiator - and you just bung oils in when you remember. It's as safe as any electrical applicance to leave on while you're out and at night, but does need cleaning every so often. It would also be safe in a childs room, as it deosn't get to hot. In the past I have used light bulb rings (work, but a nusciance to refill!) and a witch ball - a glass float that you hang in the window and put essential oils in for the sun to warm. Of all of them the aromastone is the least hassle and most accessible, and gets used most often. I must get another for the bedroom.

i have got an oil burner and I'm a fan of insense sticks and candles, but you're right they do need keeping an eye on. There is another sort of burner that uses charcol and scented resins available at www.starchild.co.uk.

Deedee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 05 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved your article Julie and the chicken is great! I'm sure I have that pattern somewhere...

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 05 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH's mum is an expert quilter but she said that Mrs Wishbone was particularly fiddly to make, and I can see how that would be. She's made up of lots of small painstakingly sewn together patches in different sizes. Suffice it to say, don't think 'Mum'll' be taking orders!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive